Food opinions please...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food opinions please...

ALuv4Labs is offline Senior Member

DefaultFood opinions please...

Hey guys...I'm looking to switch Grace and Jake's food to one without corn, wheat, etc. One of the ones I have come across that I'm considering is NaturalLife Lamaderm. I wanted to get some opinions from those of you who are more knowledgeable on the food issue than I am before I went any further with the consideration. If any of you happen to feed this or have in the past, I'd love to know what your experiences were with it. Anyone else, please let me know what you think of it in terms of ingredients as well. Thank you for the help!

http://www.nlpp.com/products.html?topic=lamaderm
    [size=12pt]Ashley[/size]<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Food opinions please...

I say go for it; it was once on my list and you can now get it at Walmart! ;D

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

This food has menadione sodium in it. This is a synthetic form of Vitamin K and can be toxic in large doses. High quality dog foods do not use this additive. I would stay away from it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

stlabs is offline Senior Member

Honestly, I've never heard of it. However, Whole Dog Journal puts out a list every year of its approved dog foods and that food is not on it. You may want to check it out - it's got a lot of good foods listed with their selection criteria. It's at www.whole-dog-journal.com. I think you have to pay a subscription fee of around $15 for a whole year but it is very worth it. I actually got my subscription specifically for this list last year and really enjoy the articles.

I use Innova and love it. Innova Evo is a grain free food.

Quote Originally Posted by Labsrme
    This food has menadione sodium in it. This is a synthetic form of Vitamin K and can be toxic in large doses. High quality dog foods do not use this additive. I would stay away from it.
    Wow, thanks for pointing that out. You know my two almost as well as I do, so I was certainly waiting to hear what you had to say on it. I will stay away from this then. Thanks for the input guys...and thanks stlabs for the link!

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

Menadione is naturally occurring as well, but they often use the synthetic version (even high quality foods) to add Vitamin K to the diet. There has been some consumer concern over anything synthetic, but the research has indicated that for it's use, it's completely safe in dog food. A lot of foods still use it, although they usually hide behind the "Vitamin K supplement" label.

I wouldn't let that dissuade you from trying the food. I really think this is a non-issue.

Keep in mind, Vitamin K is a fat-soluble vitamin. That means it can be toxic in large doses (even the natural form), so it stands the test of reason that a supplement of vitamin K would be toxic at high doses.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

You might also look at the ingredients in "Diamond Naturals" and its fraternal twin (available only at Costco) "Kirkland" C&R or L&R.

While the "Lamaderm" says something about using an ingredient not recognized as eseential by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient profile (which other labels also note for ingredients such as the Omega FAs and G&C, I also see that the "Lamaderm" lacks this statement present on both the "Diamond Natural" and "Kirkland" foods:

"Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that __(brand)__ provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages."
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I think it is ok, but you can get better for your money. It has a lot of grains.

Dani is offline Senior Member

My only question is why are you considering a switch now? If you dog is doing fine on your current food, why would you want to put her through the rollercoaster if you don't HAVE to?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

She's not doing fine on it...she's having problems that they think are probably related to food allergies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast