My Baby has Parvo! Any advice?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Baby has Parvo! Any advice?

UnhappyMy Baby has Parvo! Any advice?

Well I had to leave my precious Buddy at the vet for Parvo treatment. He was fine yesterday then this morning was acting so sick, not drinking, eating or wanting to do anything. Then he threw up several times. I took him in and he was positive for Parvo. He is 4 months and has only had one round of Parvo shots. He was due for his 2nd a few weeks ago - but my lovely neighbors dog game him kennel cough. She knew her dog had KC but let it play with mine before telling me. So I had to postpone his next shots until today - when he came down with Parvo. Im so sad. Sad at how sick he is, sad that I had to leave him there alone and frustrated at the nieghbor and the amount of money its costing me (that I dont have!) IM also worried my other dog will get sick.

Any advice on how to clean or sanitize my house and what to do? Can he get reinfected when he comes home.

I really hope he makes it and I caught it in time.

Christina

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

He's 4 months old and only has had 1 shot?

I believe, not swearing to it without doing more research, they are relatively immune to that particular strain of parvo after becoming infected. I wouldn't count on it though since there are more than one strain. It would be something I'd research and ask your vet about.

Bleach or a parvo-cide you can buy at places like Foster and Smith will kill parvo. Again, research the proper dilution.

I'm sorry your puppy is so sick.

Laura

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry your puppy is sick but blaming your neighbor is wrong. Your puppy should not have been exposed to any other dog since he was not yet properly protected. This is an unfortunate and expensive mistake you made, but it is your mistake.

My puppy had his second round of shots before he left the breeder - by the time he was 4 months old he was due for his 4th round of shots.

I hope he recovers and that your other dog is immune.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

You are right - it is my fault. I had poor judgement. I was in my front yard for a minute when she let her dog out and Let them play. This was my mistake. I knew better. I have another dog I didnt socialize and he is super mean. So in my mind I was trying to avoid that. But I learned my lesson quick on that one.

My other mistake was not buying a dog from a reputable breeder. I put my lab down last year and wanted a puppy again so bad. I only had $300 to spend and I found someone who bred them but not papered. I fell in love with Buddy, even though I debated going to a different papered breeder - I ended up back buying Buddy. He was 10 weeks old when I bought him and the person had not given him any shots or worming. I took him immediately the next day for his first round of shots. 2 weeks later (to the day) he got the kennel cough. They told me I needed to wait 2-3 weeks to vaccinate him until he was well. 2 weeks after that he was limping and I took him in and they gave him a shot in the leg - also telling me to wait 1 week for his shots. That would have been yesterday. I had already an appt to take him today for the puppy shots.

As of 20 minutes ago - the vet report was that he only vomited once when they took him, and has since had no vomiting, diarreah and his temp is normal and he looks better. I am going in the morning to get some gallons of disinfectant that can be used in the areas that cant be bleached.

I have made many mistakes this time around. I only hope they cost me money and not his life.

My other dog is 1 1/2 and due for his next booster 5/30. So Im hoping he will be fine.
    Thanks for the advice.

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear your pup is so sick. I hope he gets better quickly.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

I bet he pick up parvo at the vets, since he was just there last week. Was he just vomiting? Did he have dirrehea?
    Alicia

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CMoore416 View Post
    He was 10 weeks old when I bought him and the person had not given him any shots or worming. I took him immediately the next day for his first round of shots. 2 weeks later (to the day) he got the kennel cough. They told me I needed to wait 2-3 weeks to vaccinate him until he was well. 2 weeks after that he was limping and I took him in and they gave him a shot in the leg - also telling me to wait 1 week for his shots. That would have been yesterday. I had already an appt to take him today for the puppy shots.

As of 20 minutes ago - the vet report was that he only vomited once when they took him, and has since had no vomiting, diarreah and his temp is normal and he looks better. I am going in the morning to get some gallons of disinfectant that can be used in the areas that cant be bleached.

I have made many mistakes this time around. I only hope they cost me money and not his life.
    You know that this casts this whole thing in a very different light. The breeder set this problem in motion. I hope you give them a piece of your mind. It is shameful to bring puppies into the world and not properly care for them before selling them.

I'm sorry I jumped on you - hope your baby is much better in the morning.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

No advice here, but lots of good thoughts for your pup for a full recovery.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

prayers for your sweet puppy!

Sharon - Its no problem! :-) I know that I did make some mistakes here. There was something in this puppy's eyes that reminded me so much of my dog who was put down last summer (15 yo black lab) I couldnt let him go - despite my reservations of his owner. I swear he acts just like my old dog too! I love him so much!

As for the other question from another poster - I havent found any diarreah - so I think he only threw up. He had a high fever when I took him in but they have since gotten his fever down.

Thank you for all your kind words and support. I will keep you posted.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast