boo boo claw

Thread: boo boo claw

micki2174 is offline Junior Member

Defaultboo boo claw

Hello all! This past weekend we noticed that our 2 year old lab pup has broken a claw (about 1/2 way down) on his left paw. It's the outside claw on his left paw to be exact. We have been keeping a close eye on it, reduced his outside running time to walking around the neighborhood and have been cleaning it with a cloth dipped in peroxide & water. He isn't washing it as much as he was this past weekend but this morning when I took him for a walk he had a few episodes where he began to limp. When I got home I washed the paw with the solution again and noticed it had opened up again. I finished cleaning it and before I left for the office I checked it again and the bleeding had subsided again. When I got to the office I called the vet to see if there is an ointment that I could put on it to help and she said that they needed to see him that they may need to remove the claw?

Has anyone had something like this happen and can someone please explain to me why they would want to do something so invasive as to take the whole claw.....it sounds very extreme......

Michelle

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

whitelab21 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: boo boo claw

I had two dogs to do this to their dew claws. And both times, when I called the vet they said the claws may need to be removed. However, upon examination, the vet decided not to be so extreme and just trimmed the dew claw all the way to the base of the foot. This may be the case with your dog as well. They might just be letting you know worse case senario. After examining him, they may realize that he will be fine but simply cutting the nail back. Good luck
    see pics of all my babies<br />http://www.seehankplay.myphotoalbum.com/

:'(

Does anyone know what is involved with the removing of a claw? If they cut it all the way back what will he need in regards to paw protection? OH GOODNESS....my head is swarming with questions! This is my first dog, my husband had dogs before and they never had to remove a claw.....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

whitelab21 is offline Senior Member

as far as I know, removing the claw isn't that big of a deal, well speaking from the vets point of view. They just cut into where the claw comes out, remove it and stitch the incision. (depending on the specifics vets procedure). Your dog may be sedated (hopefully) when cutting the claw back. The sedation will be light but they do this because cutting the nail past the quick is very painful. But not to worry, they have quick stop which is an ointment to put on the nail to stop the bleeding almost immediately. When my dogs had this done, they were fine when I brought them home (which was same day). They didn't even limp. The nail will continue to grow like normal.
    see pics of all my babies<br />http://www.seehankplay.myphotoalbum.com/

cuff1324 is offline Junior Member

My 4 year old Golden Retriever ripped off her claw a few months ago. I let her outside and when she came in she was bleeding so I paniced and took her straight to the vet that night. The vet told me that it is common but it is also a very painful thing for an animal to do. So she cut it down, scrubbed it and shaved her hair around the claw. She wrapped it up and we had to leave it on for about a week and she was better. She was also on some medication for the pain and to keep it from getting infected. You definitely need to get him to the vet. But don't worry!!!! He'll be ok.

We brought him to the vet and they filed the nail down, gave us a solution to soak the paw in for 5 minutes after every walk and antibiotics for the next 7 days...

The little bugger actually sat with his back to me when we came back from his walk this morning because he saw the solution on the counter......well looks like it will be one heck of a wrestling match for the next few days.....look out Royal Rumble...here comes Brisco! ;D