Suggestions for what appears to be pain/discomfort?

Thread: Suggestions for what appears to be pain/discomfort?

PresBear is offline Junior Member

DefaultSuggestions for what appears to be pain/discomfort?

Hello - have a question about my 6 year old Chocolate Lab. Yesterday after a long walk which included running and playing with 2 other labs he began acting very funny.

He started to walk around and whimper. He was also stretching (doing the "downward dog" - butt up in air and front legs outstretched) quite a bit. He seemed so uncomfortable - walking around aimlessly and whimpering as well as barking. Then he would lay down and lick at his front legs.

I got him inside the house and laid him down to quiet him. He seemed better after about 15 min and then laid and slept the rest of the evening. He also ate his dinner with zest. Today he seems back to his old self.

Does anyone know what could have happened or maybe another dog here has done this before?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

whitelab21 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Suggestions for what appears to be pain/discomfort?

after exercising Hank, he sometimes walks in circles or just walks around panting like crazy and whimpering. I think its exhaustion and maybe sometimes a sign that he over did it. Eventually he calms down and rests. He started doing this just last summer. He will be 7 this May and I think I just didn't realize that he is getting older. So since then, I have been carefully monitering his exercise, not letting him get over heated or too exhausted too quickly.
    If your guy is okay now and the symptoms don't return, I wouldn't worry. Take him for another jog or run and see how he reacts. If he does the same then you might just need to slow is pace
    see pics of all my babies<br />http://www.seehankplay.myphotoalbum.com/

TimC. is offline Senior Member

I'm thinking he was probably just sore. In human time he is almost a 50 year old man. You could give him a buffered aspirin once every 12 hours for the soreness.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

PresBear is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the replies - he seems to be doing fine now - 2 days later.

I hate the thought that he's getting old! Breaks my heart :'(

I'm also worried that he could have arthritis - how would I know if he's in pain or discomfort on a regular basis? How do you diagnose arthritis - is this something I should talk to the vet about?

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Many people here give their older dogs joint supplements that have glucosamine and condroiton in them. I have been giving Oona the same product I use for my knees for since last March and it seems to be helping her.
    Olie