Innova or Eagle Hollistic

Thread: Innova or Eagle Hollistic

Bolts21 is offline Member

DefaultInnova or Eagle Hollistic

Hi, I am a new member! I have a great looking black lab who is 6 months old and weighs 70 pounds (not fat) and has battled pyoderma twice, an ear infection (at 10 weeks), eye infection (10 weeks), and itching and biting paws the last three months. We were feeding him Pro Plan chicken and rice and his stools seemed a little loose, but usually soft or Ok. I then started hearing about food allergies in dogs and how serious they can be, so I thought he must have an intollerance. We weened him off Pro Plan and introduced Innova Large Breed Adult and he seems to really like the taste, but I noticed an increase in gas. I was wondering if anyone knows how long it will take to see if his system is any better on the Innova? The breeder reccommended Eagle Pack Holistic, but I was reading the dog food project and it mentioned a controversial ingredient, so I went with Innova. My breeder also mentioned to me to never buy a dog food with any oils in it like Innova and some of the other really good foods has because she says the oil can become rancid and develop cancer in dogs. Has anyone heard this, or is it a myth? I did a lot of research and found nothing. Sorry for the babbliing I'm just a bit concerened! Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Innova or Eagle Hollistic

Innova is a great food, but a fairly complicated one. It has lots of ingredients, so is sometimes not well suited for dogs with allergies. Make sure you are not overfeeding it too - Innova is very calorie rich so you need to feed substantially less than with most foods.

I don't know what the ingredient is that you are worried about with Eagle Pack, but Eagle Pack is a great food and I personally have been very happy with it. They are also a great company, and the only one I know of where you can call on the phone and talk directly to their nutritionist - not just a customer service rep reading off of a list of questions and answers.

Dani is offline Senior Member

I agree with Labsrme.

Innova is a great food and I feed it but gas is not a good thing. So perhaps you should explore the Eagle pack or get your dog tested for specific allergies. Less than 5% of dogs actually get food allergies...many just don't have stomachs that agree with one or more of the ingredients.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bolts21 is offline Member

Thanks for the responses! Has anyone heard of vegetable oils being bad if they are in dog food? I was told by my breeder to stay away from them for cancer causing reasons from the possibility of going rancid.

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I've never heard of that. I guess that any ingredient could be harmful if it is rancid. That is why you need to stick with higher quality foods that are made by companies that are committed to providing good nutrition.

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bolts21
    Thanks for the responses! Has anyone heard of vegetable oils being bad if they are in dog food? I was told by my breeder to stay away from them for cancer causing reasons from the possibility of going rancid.
    Any fat can go rancid whether it's from an animal or plant. All fats are preserved as well, so I'm not really sure what she means. She if she can explain it, I'm curious.

lablover is offline Senior Member

Just want to say that I have been feeding Eagle Holistic for around 3 years now and have had no problems with it. Fudge is a picky eater with no allergies, Nutmeg will eat anything and everything and has allergies. This food has been the answer to feeding one food to both dogs.

Any oils can go bad. More so if they are animal based such as chick fat.