Canned vs Dry dog food

Thread: Canned vs Dry dog food

bai201 is offline Junior Member

DefaultCanned vs Dry dog food

Do dogs on canned food consume less water than dry food eaters? I have been told that canned dog food generally has less grain in its ingredients (depending on quality of each), and that it has more moisture, which helps keep a dog hydrated and benefits the urinary tract. My 2.5 yo female has been having bed wetting issues and I'm reluctant to put her on PPA this early (all blood & urine work comes back perfect) - I think part of the issue is that she drinks a lot of water after her meals (even after I moisten her food - Cal Nat C&R) and thus helps to contribute to bed wetting issue. As reference, I feed her dinner at ~7pm and take her out for the last time ~ 10:30pm (I do leave water out throughout, as she often drinks it up until as late as 9:30pm) I'm am also thinking of trying "Leaks No More" to see if that helps as well - thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Canned vs Dry dog food

Wet food generally has less nutrients in it than dry. Not necessarily less grains...but less fat, less protein, less everything. Dogs will drink what they see fit. Does she have a history of UTI's? How old was she when she was spayed? Does she have an "innie" vulva? It could simply be incontanence. I would rule everything out medically before you mess with her nutrition and food.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

bai201 is offline Junior Member

she had a UTI when she was ~ 8 mos old, but none since, spayed at 6 mos, no innie. Our vet seems to think incontinece as well (she has ruled out all other things through various blood/urine/physical exams), But just hestitant to put her on PPA so early, esp since its only at night (no prob in the am or afternoon, with holding it, just at night - when she is completely relaxed, "dead asleep", also its not a dripping/leak, it more classic bed wetting) -

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that you have to take into consideration the moisture content when comparing across dry-wet labels for content analysis - so dry & canned (of the same food) should have pretty close to the same protien/fat/etc content

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bai201

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that you have to take into consideration the moisture content when comparing across dry-wet labels for content analysis - so dry & canned (of the same food) should have pretty close to the same protien/fat/etc content
    You are correct -- you have to convert it to a dry matter basis for comparison. That's simply taking the inverse of the moisture and use that to divide into the percentage of protein, fat, etc to obtain a comparison to dry food.

imported_oakley is offline Senior Member

Oakley has been on PPA for a few months and she is now 9 months old. I had to find out why she would dribble all the time. She is also on Stilbesterol as the PPA didn't completely stop the dribbling.
    My suggestion would be to try the PPA to see if it works before going to canned dog food.

everydog is offline Senior Member

I agree that this sounds like "spay" incontinence. While a canned food (with higher moisture content) might result in less water consumption, it would have no effect on hormone related incontinence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Wet food generally has less nutrients in it than dry. Not necessarily less grains...but less fat, less protein, less everything. .
    Canned food *can* contain far more protein and fat on a dry matter basis.
    For example:
    AvoDerm Original Canned Dog Food is 78% moisture; subtracted from 100% = 22% dry (non-moisture).

To calculate the protein, fat and fiber take the divisor, 22%,
    and divide that into each ingredient.

8.0% protein divided by 22% = 36.36% protein 100% dry matter basis
    5.5% fat divided by 22% = 25.0% fat 100% dry matter basis
    1.5% fiber divided by 22% = 6.82% fiber 100% dry matter basis

In comparison to:

AvoDerm Original Dry Dog Food is 10% moisture, subtract from 100% = 90% dry (non-moisture)

20.0% protein divided by 90% = 22.22 protein 100% dry matter basis
    8.0% fat divided by 90% = 8.89% fat 100% dry matter basis
    4.0% fiber divided by 90% = 4.4% fiber 100% dry matter basis
    http://www.petsage.com/art_canned.htm

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I don't think wet food is going to be your answer here. Incontinence in older lab females that are spayed is COMMON. Unfortunately, you'll probably have to put her on medication, I don't think food will make a difference.