Do you feed your labs a variety of dry food formulas or...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you feed your labs a variety of dry food formulas or...

DefaultDo you feed your labs a variety of dry food formulas or...

one formula throughout their puppyhood or adulthood? This is a really silly question, but do you think our dogs can grow sick of eating the same thing over and over again at each meal?

My puppy is a little over 2 months old. I've been feeding him Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice formula ever since we got him. He does not seem to be crazy about the taste of it though. He never runs towards his bowl no matter how hungry he is, sometimes I have to feed him by hand to make sure he eats enough before I take his bowl away for the night. He is totally different if I give him something else, like Chicken or baby carrots for treats. He LOVES them and would beg for more with his cute puppy face. It makes me feel so bad.

My dear boys <br /><br /><br />The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.&nbsp; - Andy Rooney

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do you feed your labs a variety of dry food formulas or...

My dogs have all gotten the same Pro Plan Chicken and rice their whole lives. However I do give treats of venison, carrots adn chicken when training. I also pick up those little bags of free samples that pet stores give away of the different brands also.
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

Miska is offline Member

I fed Dakota a variety of kibble formulas.. I do it because she get's bored with her food. :-\ I can tell she's bored with it because she will take forever to eat her food. I usually have to change kibble every 3-4 months.. I just recently switched from California Naturals Herring and Sweet Potato to Eagle Pack Holistic Fish kibble.. When she starts to get bored with the fish formula, I plan on putting her on the duck and then the lamb.. Then I will put her back on Cali. Natural fish and start the process over again.

I never knew that a lab could be so picky.. I guess I just spoiled her..

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We've used several different foods over the years. The main one now is Nutro NC Lamb & Rice. I sometimes get the Ultra Adult. Sometimes I splurge for an ultra-premium variety such as Solid Gold Barking at the Moon or Natures Variety.

As long as your dog doesn't have a sensitive stomach or allergies, you are probably OK with a variety, but there is also nothing wrong with sticking to one kind.

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

We have been on Kirkland Chicken and Rice for almost a year now. Only food that seems to work for all 7 dogs. Before that, I used Kirkland Lamb for half and ProPlan Sensitive Systems for half. They also get varied treats, fruits, veggies, raw bones ... so far, so good!

JeffG is offline Senior Member

Yeah, i've varied...but not because Ty was getting tired of one. I didn't like waht the breeder fed...so I changed to proplan, then i changed to Diamond Naturals L&R (because our local store here didn't carry the ProPlan LB formula).

Ty is not exactly picky....I could serve up a nice plate of dirt and clay...and he'd still be doing his "happy dance" waiting on me to release him for his bowl.

TimC. is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you saying "give them something everyday so they don't get bored?" Or changing it once in awhile? The one time we switched Oona's food, and it was completely by accident, she had the runs so bad I had to stay home from work to help her. I don't think dogs get bored with their food. If for whatever reason they don't want to eat it there is probably a health issue involved.
    Olie

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Nope. I do not switch. In my opinion, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." ESPECIALLY where foods are concerned. I have seen too many absolutely miserable dogs with food allergies- itching, chronic ear or skin problems, chronic intestinal issues, etc.

My dogs have never had a problem eating their food. Puppies will often go through stages where they don't seem very excited about food...this can be related to teething, etc. Mine both went through that. I also ended up having to reduce the meals from 3 to 2 a day eventually during a period in puppyhood where they simply didn't seem excited about their food and wouldn't finish their meals. By getting a variety of foods, it soon becomes "expected" that they'll get a variety of foods...I simply don't do well in our household with a picky eater. It makes is incredibly difficult to ever find a food that a dog wants to eat should s/he ever end up with a medical condition that reduces appetite as well.

The problem with switching to different foods all of the time is that the majority of food allergies are diagnosed and treated by switching to a diet with a different protein source (including the "novel protein" or "limited protein" diets that include fish/potato or venison/rice or duck/oatmeal, etc.) in hopes of finding a protein source that the dog has never "seen" before. By never having "seen" that protein source, hopefully the dog hasn't had any chance to develop an allergy to it.

So, by feeding all sorts of different foods, you are REALLY limiting (or eliminating all together) your chances of ever finding a food your dog will tolerate if s/he ever ends up with food allergies. Not a good scenerio.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I think if you have one or two dogs with no foody issues, switching varieties every few months is absolutely fine.

In my own case, around 6-12 months ago (can't remember exactly), I had my four dogs on three different foods. It was a real pain so I switched them all to a hypoallergenic Lamb and Rice kibble. FINALLY I found a food that worked for each of them. As of right now, none of them are having foody issues so I am thrilled. I intend to stick with this food for as long as it works. That said, I also feed raw, so my dogs are getting plenty of variety.

Dani is offline Senior Member

now that i found a formula that I love....no way am I switching. Rider's been on the same food for 18 months and it's a go. Are you keeping the food as fresh as it can be? Perhaps it's getting stale.

It also sounds like you are creating a finicky eater. Don't hand feed. Put the bowl down, leave it down for 15 minutes. Whatever she doesn't eat, get's picked up and fed at the next meal (DO NOT ADD ANYTHING). She will NOT starve herself, so don't project your emotions on her state of being. If she doesn't finish that meal at the next meal time, pick up and feed what's left, even if it's 2 pieces of kibble.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast