Lamb&Rice or Chicken&Rice Dog Food??

Thread: Lamb&Rice or Chicken&Rice Dog Food??

DaisyDixie is offline Member

DefaultLamb&Rice or Chicken&Rice Dog Food??

Do you guys feed your dogs chicken&rice or Lamb&rice? I'm not sure what is better for a sensitive stomach?? What do yall feed your dogs??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lamb&Rice or Chicken&Rice Dog Food??

Lamb and Rice works for my guys. If your dog tolerates both, it doesn't really matter. Mine seem to do best on Lamb based formulas.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

We've never had good luck with lamb around here... we stick to chicken/turkey. It depends on how your dog does on any particular food- You can't really recommend on "flavor" or type of food for all dogs. What works for you may not work for me and vice-versa. Good luck!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I think it depends on the label/brand.

I was feeding Kirkland L&R until I noticed they changed the formula so that there are more rice ingredients among the first 6 than in their C&R. So I switched to C&R.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

JeffG is offline Senior Member

We were on C&R proplan starting out, then I switched to Diamond Naturals L&R. Seems to be doing fine. I would've stayed with C&R, but Diamond Naturals only has the LB puppy formula in L&R. Just depends on the dog I guess.

micki2174 is offline Junior Member

When we brought our pup to the vet for the first time 1 1/2 years ago he suggested we not feed our dog lamb dog food. He told us his daughter was going to Veternary School and had been doing research on lamb dog food and large breed (in particular labs)! Apparently they had found some similarities between lamb dog food and some sort of ailments with Labradors.......I will ask again today when I go though......
    Michelle

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Supposedly, dogs digest chicken better than they do other proteins. If you're having a problem with both, I would suggest trying a sensitive systems food such as ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach. Worked great for a few of mine.

DaisyDixie is offline Member

Yes, I did try it at last..didn't even realize they had one for sensitive stomachs=) Which all of a sudden yesterday she won't eat it anymore=( I don't know what to do with her.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

How old is she?

Puppies should decrease the amount of food they eat between, say, the 6th and 10th months of age. My Puff went from eating barely a cup/day at 9 weeks age to eating 5 cups/day at 8 months. THEN she started skipping meals and I gradually reduced the amount I was giving her until it happened again, and again.... She finally leveled off at 2 1/2 cups/day at 11 months age.

This happens because when younger, Labs are eating to sustain their weight plus also to support increased rapid growth. As they more closely approach their adult weight and size, not as much extra food is needed.

Many Labs are gluttons and will eat everything they can. But a few, like Puff, are self-regulators.

What size bag are you getting and how do you store it once opened?

The contents of large (40 lb.) bags can lose their appetizing qualities if just allowed to be exposed to the air. The gluttony of many Labs will overcome that loss of appeal but self-regulating Labs have a more discriminating palate and, if food getting stale is the reason for the loss of appetite, correcting that will solve the problem.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Nature's Recipe makes two different kinds of Lamb and Rice formulas. The second one has the addition of barley which is supposed to help with sensitive stomachs.
    Olie