overweight 3yr.old spayed female
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overweight 3yr.old spayed female

Lyrical is offline Junior Member

Defaultoverweight 3yr.old spayed female

??? Hi Everyone. Just want to hear some success stories from all of you out there who's had to deal with an overweight young adult. We have a total of 4 dogs, and only one of them seems to pack on the pounds. They are all exercised the same, and each are only given 1 cup of Eukanuba lg.br.adult kibble in the morning, and the same amount in the evening. We've tried the "no salt green beans" in with her kibble, and recently purchased the Reduced Fat version of Eukanuba for her. Any success stories out there before we put her on a prescribed blend from the Vet? Thanks, and have a nice weekened.

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: overweight 3yr.old spayed female

I would rule out any medical problems first. Weight issues can be connected to things such as an under active thyroid.

A few questions...

How old is she? when did she first become overweight? how much exercise does she get?

we had an entire panel of tests run this past Tues, and it ruled out Thyroid, etc.......It's a relief, but she's not getting enough exercise during the day when we are working, and her walks have been limited at night.
    We will keep up with the walks, but just wondered if any experienced folks knew any diets that worked well. Only one post all day, so I guess will go back to Wiscoy and see what the Breeders there have to say. Thanks for your reply.

Lyrical

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Yikes....well the weekends are pretty dead around here...but what you are going to do is what would be regularly suggested. Low cal food, green beans and increasing the exercise. I guess I am not trying to sound like a smart ass but taking weight off a dog is the same as you taking weight off, better food choices, and more exercise.

Perhaps it's the food. Eukanuba has a lot of grains in it...perhaps she's not very tolerant of them and that is leading to extra weight?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

thanks for your input. we'll just increase her our exercise, and give it month..............and then see where we are at. Thankfully nothing serious showed up, like thyroid, etc.....we just need to get our girl thin again.
    Have a great weekend.

I have got to agree with Dani here...the answer for weight loss will always be the same. There is no science behind it. Reduce food and up the exercise. It sounds as though she is not getting enough...how long are your walks? actual walks on leash don't really give a dog much exercise. If you want some exercise ideas, I posted a long reply on the 'Our Best Advice' sticky in the training section -- might be worth a look. I would recommend one hour of physical exercise per day (running, swimming, playing, off leash time, etc.) to keep a dog in top condition.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    I have got to agree with Dani here...the answer for weight loss will always be the same. There is no science behind it. Reduce food and up the exercise.
    Exactly. Same as with people. You may simply need to decrease the total amount (food and treats) you feed her until you are able to exercise her enough. She's a pretty girl, though!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I am not a fan of weight loss foods - just decrease the amount of food you are feeding her. If 1 cup twice a day is making her fat, then feed her less than that. I usually decrease/increase food by 1/4 cup increments when I make food adjustments. One of my dogs gets 2/3 to 3/4 cup of food twice daily, depending on the type of food I am feeding and the amount of exercise she is getting. If I fed her 1 cup twice daily she would be fat in short order.

thanks for all the input...................we don't like the reduced fat versions either, her coat will fall apart. We'll up the exercise even more, and cut back to 3/4 cup 2x daily. We love our girl, and don't want her to be obese. thanks again.

[attachment deleted by admin]

3/4 cup 2x daily
    As this is a pretty small amount of food, I would also try feeding a filler such as green beans alongside her kibble. The empty calories will hopefully stop her feeling hungry. You can also try canned pumpkin...rotating between the two is good for a bit of variety.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast