Not eating

Thread: Not eating

Molly428 is offline Member

DefaultNot eating

I'm not sure what is wrong with Molly but was wondering if this is normal. She will go 2 days sometimes without eating. I have switched food b/c at first I wasn't sure if she just didn't like the food but she still won't eat when I switch it up. She will love the food I get one week then the next she will not even touch it. Does anyone else have a problem with this? I'm starting to wonder if I should take her to the vet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Not eating

How old is she?

My Puff started doing that around 8 months age. That's when I discovered she's one of the rare "mutant" Labs that are "self-regulating" in food intake.

Young Lab puppies need 2-3X the amount of daily food intake (in kcals) that an adult dog of the same weight would need. BUT the closer they come to their adult weight, then the more that multiplier (2-3X) decreases to 1.2-1.0X.

Puff started skipping meals at that time for a day or so. When I reduced the amount offered her, she started eating again. We had several stages like that.

We went from Puff's all time high of 5 cups/day down to her present adult level of 2½ cups/day.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748