Looks like allergy season is starting...

Thread: Looks like allergy season is starting...

wharrgarbl is offline Junior Member

DefaultLooks like allergy season is starting...

Lucy, our 1.5 year old chocolate, has seasonal allergies to an unknown substance(s). She started to suffer from them as a puppy, and on our vet's advice switched to a limited ingredient diet and gave her benadryl when necessary. This was effective, so we didn't need to pursue testing to find out specifically what she's allergic to.

We were able to stop giving her the benadryl late last year, and until now she's been fine. I was actually hoping that maybe she had out outgrown the allergy. No such luck. She just started chewing her feet and she has rashes on her stomache, so back onto the benadryl she goes.

It seems that allergies are pretty prevalent with labs. If anybody has any tips or suggestions, I'd love to hear them...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I have an allergy sufferer too - she's good all summer and winter, but spring and fall - look out.

We've been on a raw diet now for a year (for numerous reasons) but also because I heard it could help with allergies - no dice in that department. When it's environmental, it's environmental, not much helps.

We're coming off week 3 of benedryl twice daily, and it looks like whatever triggered it is starting to wane. It's tough on them for sure.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TangerineFizz View Post
    ...When it's environmental, it's environmental, not much helps...
    I've found a good old fashioned romp with the hose, or a rinse down in the tub helps knock down the chewing and scratching. Even a quick wipe down with baby wipes helps.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Castaway is offline Senior Member

Fortunes spent on special diets and blood tests.... nothing has worked for us, except suddenly for no reason anyone can identify, Riley has a full head of hair (well nearly) and is so well its amazing, I keep asking myself how long can it last , has she grown out of it.. is it luck I dont know but I do know im making the most of watching Riley be happy again.
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic370_1.gif The more people I meet the more I like my dog

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Have you tried MSM? It sure helps MY springtime allergies!!! anne

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    I've found a good old fashioned romp with the hose, or a rinse down in the tub helps knock down the chewing and scratching. Even a quick wipe down with baby wipes helps.
    We do.

No amount of washing, wiping, rinsing helps this time of year. You can't wash what is inhaled.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TangerineFizz View Post
    We do.

No amount of washing, wiping, rinsing helps this time of year. You can't wash what is inhaled.
    Oh, you're right. My theory is that whatever I rinse wipe off isn't being inhaled later. Of course, with the windows open, "whatever" is still coming through the screens, right?

BTW- for whatever reason, Caleb hasn't been scratching and chewing as much the last week as usual. I'm wondering if the vitamin C, B Complex and fish oil capsules are kicking in.

wharrgarbl is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    Have you tried MSM? It sure helps MY springtime allergies!!! anne
    MSM?

Whatever her allergen is, it's really just kicked in over the last few days. We think at least one of her allergens is something inhaled. I had her swimming several days ago, and I gave her the hose and a wipe down today. Thanks for the suggestions!

goodguy is offline Senior Member

Yeah sami just started up with the feet licking this week... I forget how much benadryl I was giving her last year... How much do you folks give?

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

my vet recommended Nizoral shampoo when Harlee was licking her feet and I do it about once a week , works great!