Dog drinking and urinating a lot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog drinking and urinating a lot

DefaultDog drinking and urinating a lot

hello

Im new here and currently have a 4 month old yellow lab - Buddy. He has always seemed a little off to me. He is the sweetest dog in the world, but very very mellow. I was shocked at how mellow (I also have a hyper rat terrier which could be why he seems so mellow in contrast) Ive always noticed Buddy drank a lot. But I assumed he was just a growing bg dog. He does play with my other dog and isnt lethargic or anything but just sleeps/lays in between playing. I did notice he was limping and that he has trouble getting up sometimes so I took him to vet to check for hip dysplasia. The vet thinks he hurt his leg (playing or something) so he just gave him a shot for pain/inflamation in his leg and told me to give it a week to see. Well yesterday after we got home (a couple hours) Buddy peed all over my living room. I mean a ton and all over like he was walking. Not like he just peed in one spot because he had to go. This also happened 2 more times since then. I didnt let him out over night (so that might be why there) but up until this he was peeing on pad fine or going out. I obviously need to take him out more frequently - but do you all have any opinions on the excessive drinking/urinating? When Buddy drinks - he laps for about 45 seconds - seems like an eternity. He also gets up in the middle of the night to drink about 2 times. Any help would be appreciated.

FYI -I got him from someone who bred their labs but he was not a breeder and Buddy isnt papered. My mistake as I should of got one from a reputable breeder. But I just fell in love with him when I saw him!!

Christina

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I forgot to write that we took him to the vet for his leg yesterday before he urinated all over the floor. It was after that - a few hours that he started it.
    christina

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Call your vet and ask. Some drugs have different side effects on the animals, and us. It might be from the shot.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Yup, what Ed said. Plus, you can always take a urine sample to the vet and have them check it.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Thanks for the info. I wasnt sure if the meds would do that but it does makes sense. I will call my vet this morning. Thanks again

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Check on the meds but it sounds like he always drinks excessively. This can be the sign of a UTI. If you want to be sure collect urine first thing in the a.m. prior to food or water and in mid stream for the best sample to drop at the vet for testing.

Lily is offline Member

+1 on the possible UTI. My new girl (10 weeks) starting peeing frequently (or at least squatting to try to) after having made good progress toward potty training in her first week home. Took her to the vet and she only had a moderately high white blood cell count in her urine sample. Still, they gave her antibiotics to put in her meals twice a day for a week and she progressively improved over the first few days on treatment.

I'd assume UTIs are more common in female dogs than male dogs just like they're more common in female humans, but its worth having your vet look into. If he's still peeing a lot, the vet won't have trouble collecting a urine sample at their office.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I'd assume UTIs are more common in female dogs than male dogs
    My vet just pointed that out to me yesterday. Think about where the dogs prostate is, and how far the urine has to travel to the penis. Compare that with the female dog. It makes sense!!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

While the vet can get a urine sample the first of the a.m. is the best for testing.

What is bothering me is the fact that he drinks so much. Last night he slept near the water bowl. My other dog doesnt drink at all at night. Buddy on the other hand, drinks about 4 times a night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast