Picky Dog (changed food)?

Thread: Picky Dog (changed food)?

curly is offline Senior Member

DefaultPicky Dog (changed food)?

We recently changed Zakk's food from Proplan LB Puppy to Proplan Lamb & Rice. We noticed that he did not act as 'eager' about eating so the last bag I bought I decided to try Proplan Chicken & Rice...... his eating went back to 'usual'. Zakk now seems eager to eat again . I figured it was because his puppy food was chicken and developed a 'taste' for it (I understand that dogs don't have a sense of taste like humans) or it was a part of 'growing up'? He would not eat all his food (2 cups twice a day) until we switched to Chicken & Rice, now he will clean his bowl.

Has anyone else noticed this when switching from puppy to adult food or do we just have a picky dog ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

eklind51 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Picky Dog (changed food)?

when we switched ginger to adult food a couple months ago she did the same thing. we went from chicken to lamb and now back to chicken. i was feeding her 2 cups twice a day but now she gets 1 1/2 twice a day.

how is zakk?? what does he weigh now? ginger is at about 65 pounds...she's been around that weight for a while so i don't see her getting much bigger.

Good to hear from you! I see Ginger has still got those beautiful eyes :P!!

Zakk is doing very well! He is up to about 82lbs and he is filling out nicely (I think he's gong to be about ~85lbs when 'fully grown'). He is still 'all puppy' but is calming down a bit and does very well when we are working with commands. I have not updated his pictures lately (haven't been on the board much either :-[). Hopefully I can get some good pics and do some updating during my vacation.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

When we first rescued Larry, we thought that ProPlan Chicken and Rice would be a good food to put him on, but he WOULD not eat it. We practically had to force it down. We then switched him to ProPlan Sensitive Skin/Stomach (salmon-based), and he cleaned the bottom of his bowl.

However, in Larry's case, we found out that he was/is actually allergic to chicken, thus the not eating, but that is a totally different story. I think that they definitely prefer some tastes over others. Glad you found a food your boy loves.

Zakk has never turned his nose up at food but he did not like Lamb ;D.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Slow eating can be a sign that you are feeding too much. Cutting back to 3 - 3 1/2 cups a day might help.

I switched Oona's food last year because the Iams has wheat and corn of which I think she has an allergy to. We switched to Nature's Recipe Lamb Barley and Rice. Oona never turned her nose up at a meal but at first she did with the Nature's Recipe. I feed her 4 times a day as a prevenative to bloat. If I put the food down she had 15 minutes to eat it otherwise it went into the fridge until the next feeding time and I gave her the breakfast portion as well as the lunch. She would eat it, but would do it again the next time she was fed. This continued for a couple of days and she finally gave in.
    Olie