breeding questions...AI
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: breeding questions...AI

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

Defaultbreeding questions...AI

for a first time breeding is natural the way to go or AI okay?

Another forum I visit says using AI the first time gives no indication the dog is willing to breed and without the sex drive the dog should not be bred. I have seen some stud dog ads say they only do AI stud service. If you found a dog you adore and like what he produces and think it will improve your bitches fault, but for a first time would you go to another dog for a live breeding? I have noticed some first time bitches are bred to the breeders stud on site, is that because of this or do you think they bought the bitch to complement the stud.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Our first breeding was AI. Stud was in MI, we are in CO. There was no other way. I would never compromise my choice to pick just to avoid doing an AI. I almost did that, and boy am I glad I changed my mind.

I was talking to a gal who is wanting to breed her girl and we were talking about this very thing. IMHO, if you are using a stud owned by a seasoned breeder and they allow natural, most the times you take your girl up there that middle week and they take care of the process.

Even with a local stud, I think I would prefer AI. You do your progesterone tests, you know when to breed the bitch. Then you do the collection and AI right there.

Some breeders will use their own studs, though you have to be careful about it. My mentor bought a new boy from a great pedigree that complemented her pedigree and just recently had pups (she did a side by side AI). But that's a question that you'd need to ask to breeder about because many times BYB's or not-so-hot breeders will soley use their own boys because they won't have to pay a stud fee. They usually don't give a crap about pedigree, just want to crank out pups. That's why you need to ask why they chose the stud they did.

nicole is offline Senior Member

In show bred labradors, I would hazard to say that most breed only by AI even if the stud is right there, it's safer and less time consuming for everyone involved. I don't think we are running any sort of risk in producing dogs without sex drive... my girls have been used as teases when in season, and they're well lets just say very into it, and my boys are more than willing to breed something if allowed. A breeder who keeps boys will often use them on their own bitches (or allow friends to use him) so they know what he produces.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I agree with both responses. We haven't done a natural breeding in years.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I often wonder if there was anything to the AI & Natural breedings we did with my boy.
    Both naturals to the same bitch resulted in over 10 pups each. The AI's were less than 5.
    Lily's first litter was an AI but she has 6. Her mom has very good sized litters...of course they were AI's.... so I am just rambling here LOL
    Kim

I wonder that too. Know quite a few people with small litters lately. I did an AI in 06 and had 7 pups. Did another (different girl but both maidens) in 08 and had a singleton (with resorped pups).

Recently did a surgical AI so we shall see what happens.

Know someone that just had a litter of 11 with a side by side AI.

I know from a consult with Hutch that he is scratching his head over the amount of singletons he has seen lately.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Lily's was a side by side AI but still was small. Six but one was stillborn. All but one was born already outside the sac and I think #6 was just out of the sac for too long but she was also SUPER small and I doubt she would have lived. Five was a good number but six would have been great.
    Kim

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Our AI with shipped chilled gave us 11 pups.

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

...this might get off track but is it better to have a larger litter when choosing out show quality, or will a small litter give you the same amount of chances for a nice dog.

I talked to a boston terrier breeder at the weekend show and they usually have small litters, three or four pups. So if breeder keeps one, friend of breeder keeps one, then I wonder what is left.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

Its always nice for the breeder to have more to choose from. But there are no guarantees, no matter what the size of the litter, that there will be a show potential pup in the litter.

You choose the stud to compliment your bitch and hope and pray you have a keeper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast