Something to use with dry kibble instead of canned food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something to use with dry kibble instead of canned food

Sedona is offline Senior Member

DefaultSomething to use with dry kibble instead of canned food

Just a quick question - Sedona is on Pro Plan large breed chicken and rice and I use a small amount of canned since she will not eat it dry. Does anyone have something else they use to moisten the dry kibble. I don't want to use the canned as it looks and smells gross and she doesn't need the extra calories. She doesn't really like her food soaked in water either. I am trying to come up with something healthy to make on my own that will help the kibble be moist and be tasty as well.

Thanks for any ideas.

Isn't it great to have a sister

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Have you tried adding some cut up carrot or green beans?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I would try baby food. But to be honest if you have to do that, high quality canned is probably your best bet.

Canned tripe would be great. A little stinky, but dogs LOVE it.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

pumpkin, unsweetened applesauce, sardines occasionally, dollup of yogurt. i normally just squirt a tad of water on mine and serve. don't want them to become picky eaters by having something added to the food all the time.

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

What about yogurt??...I give it to my dogs with their meals, its good for their digestive tract and they love it...

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

Dani is offline Senior Member

Congrats for making her a picky eater. Give her dry and that's it. Give her 15 minutes to eat and what she does is what she gets. No treats, nothing the rest of the day. Put down what she didn't eat at breakfast for dinner without adding to it, even if there are only two bites left. She'll start eating when she realizes that is what she gets.

A healthy dog will not starve itself.

Of course, the food could be stale from the bag being open to the air or she may just not like the pro plan. Been hearing that more as of late that dogs are turning up their noses at pro plan.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

patm is offline Senior Member

I was going to ask about the ProPlan also. How long has she been on it? Did she like it at one time? Might just be a bad bag (old or something), or might be time for a change. I have found over the years, that the cheaper and worse the food, the more my dogs seemed to like it! That doesn't mean I feed them cheap food, they get Innova Evo, and have always seemed to like it - of course they only get a scant 1 cup twice a day, so they are usually hungry and eat it up pretty quickly.

Sedona is offline Senior Member

Thank you for your responses. Sedona is NOT a picky eater. Even at 8 weeks old she did not prefer to have her kibble soaked, but soaked it was and she had to eat it that way. She does like Pro Plan, she just prefers to have a little moist with the dry kibble. I started putting a small amount of moist in it; all beings have their preferences. Dani - I have not created a picky eater. I am well aware of how to feed my dog and as a small puppy the 15 minute rule. Sedona has gone three days without eating more than one time. I will not argue what is right and what is wrong is one's opinion, I simply asked what others might suggest instead of canned food.

Sedona has done very well on Pro Plan and is a very healthy girl at 17 months.

Isn't it great to have a sister

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I think I'd try using 1/4 the amount of dry kibble mixed with water and chicken or fish stock and, if she eats it, offer more quarters until the full amount is eaten. If it isn't eaten, take it up and repeat again at the next meal.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

When Rupert won't eat his kibble, I've crushed up his biscuits and sprinkled them over the rest of the food. He goes nuts for it then.

What about yogurt??...I give it to my dogs with their meals, its good for their digestive tract and they love it...
    Is it really? Anything dairy gives my dog a case of the squirts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast