Dog food help, please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog food help, please

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultDog food help, please

So Frankie is still having a problem with his left ear. Saturday morning, he was scratching it like crazy, poor guy. We already know that he's allergic to egg and fish, but obviously there's something else that we're not aware of. So, I decided to put him (all of them) on grain-free once again. I tried grain-free once before and had horrible poops from it (Evo). This time I'm trying
    Natural Balance L.I.D. Sweet Potato and Venison formula :
    http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dog...as/VenDog.html

Started it lastnight, mixing with their old food. Everyone pooped normal this morning - YAY!

Any opinions or personal experience with this food? Question : Macy and Tucker do not have any food allergies that I'm aware of. This food should still be OK for them, right? Even though it's specifically made for allergy-prone dogs? Also, I don't know how to read the fats and protein stuff. Should I feed more or less of this food? Currently they're getting 3 cups a day.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

The Natural Balance should be fine for Mace-Face and Tucker, as long as neither one of them decide they are allergic to venison.

I tried Natural Balance for my boys and they has some gaseous issues, though not real smelly and not severe. We went back to Taste of the Wild.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Thanks, Jackie!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Also, I don't know how to read the fats and protein stuff. Should I feed more or less of this food? Currently they're getting 3 cups a day.
    I think the kcals (kcalories) per cup is the more important factor. If your Labs were maintaining a proper weight on what they were eating before -- whatever the amount --then you'd usually want to feed them whatever quantity of the new food that has an equal amount of kcals.

For instance, if you were feeding 1 cup of the old food per meal and it contained 400 kcals/cup, and the new food contains 300 kcals/cup, you'd need to feed 1 1/3rd cup/meal of the new food to have the same number of kcals.

Conversely, if the old food contained 300 kcals/cup, and the new food contains 400 kcals/cup, you'd need to feed 3/4 cup/meal of the new food to have the same number of kcals.

If you're not sure how to figure out how to do this, I suggest you write down the number of cups (including any fractional amounts) of the old food you were feeding and the number of kcals/cup it has. Also write down the number of kcals/cup of the new food and take it to your friendly pharmacist and sweetly ask for help in determining the amount of the new food to feed that would have the same total number of kcals.

She or he will be able to tell you in just a few seconds; they're very practiced in making very similar calculations.

The kcals/cup (&/or kilogram) usually are printed on the bags. If not, call the food mfr's toll free customer service phone # -- they'll be able to instantly tell you.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Great Bob, thanks!!

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Derby does awful on Natural Balance foods. He was fed it for 3 years, but then developed problems with it, both their Potato and Duck and the Sweet Potato and Venison, has terrible colitis with them.

How did you determine your dog has problems with fish?

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

He developed problems after 3 years? But he was fine up until then?

How did we determine the fish? I had him off of all egg product (I forget what food we were on at that point) and he did really well, his ears were clear for a long time. Then I read here about giving their dogs salmon, I think, as a treat. I think it was salmon...anyway, I did, and both ears flared up almost immediately. That was enough for me!! We avoid all fish product now....

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff View Post
    He developed problems after 3 years? But he was fine up until then?

How did we determine the fish? I had him off of all egg product (I forget what food we were on at that point) and he did really well, his ears were clear for a long time. Then I read here about giving their dogs salmon, I think, as a treat. I think it was salmon...anyway, I did, and both ears flared up almost immediately. That was enough for me!! We avoid all fish product now....
    He was on NB potao and duck up until all the food recalls. I stuck with them through the recalls, but shortly after, he developed problems. Cost me a small fortune in vet bills, thinking he had Giardia, though tests came back negative. Finally just switched him cold turkey, poops cleared up in 2 days. Then last year, thought I would give them another chance. Tried the Sweet Potato and Venison, did a gradual switch. Within 2 days after being on the food 100%, mucus and blood in stools. I'm done with NB.

As for your Salmon treats, maybe it was something else in the treat? Where they made in China. From what I remember, one you were feeding EVO, which has some fish in it, but also had egg. I mentioned that some dogs have issues with egg. That's when you switched back to Purina.

Have you ever tried a food that did have fish, but no egg? Also, do you give any supplements such as joint supplements. Some of those contain soy products.

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

I don't always think ear problems at this particular time of year are food related. Zoe and Zena have gotten ear problems once in a blue moon...one time since I have had Zena and only once in Zoe's life and both were at this time of year. I didn't change foods. Treated the ear and they never came back. Just a part of spring allergies around here.
    You do realize you need to have them on a food 2-3 months; for some dogs even as long as 6 months; before you see results?

The salmon I gave them was pure salmon...the fish in the can. I do remember you suggested the egg thing...and after watching closely, anytime he had any egg (whether food, treats, or leftover scrambled) the left ear flared up right away.

You do realize you need to have them on a food 2-3 months; for some dogs even as long as 6 months; before you see results?
    I know.

Have you ever tried a food that did have fish, but no egg?
    At this point, I have no idea! I've tried so many different foods I've lost track.

No, we don't do supplements.

They actually did really well on Purina One Natural Blends C&R, but my store discontinued it a couple of months ago and I can't find it. I put them on regular Purino One since then and his ear started getting really bad again.

Can't stand the food game!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast