Possible Kibble Switch??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Kibble Switch??

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultPossible Kibble Switch??

Milly is on California Naturals. She has been since we switched her at 10 months of age. She does well on it, no eye gunk and nice coat. No bad breath or gas problems etc...

She is now 14months and we have about 3 weeks left of her current kibble.

So my question (seems to be one I ask every 6 months or so!) Is 15months too young for grain-free? I know the idea of if she does well on a food why switch her but I'd really like to see what grain-free can do for her.

If the grain-free is too much for her at 15mo then I'll stay on California Naturals but still wanted to ask the question

Cheers
    Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

I had Abbey on grain-free before she was even a year old. But honestly, I wouldn't change it if it works for her...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

I'm not sure how expensive California Naturals is, but I know in general grain-free is more expensive, too.

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    I had Abbey on grain-free before she was even a year old. But honestly, I wouldn't change it if it works for her...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

I'm not sure how expensive California Naturals is, but I know in general grain-free is more expensive, too.
    there isn't too much difference in the cost here in Australia Justine. I was going to switch her late last year but Labby and a few others mentioned that the high calcium wasn't ideal for a dog under 18months. So yeah...
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Anne is offline Senior Member

For what it's worth, I switched everyone (Piper @ 15 months included) over to a grain-free kibble.

Having said that, if Milly is doing well on the Cal Natural, why switch? I loved Cal Natural and would still be using it save that it gave one of my guys loose-ish stools.

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Cal Nat is pretty much as minimal ingredient as you can get. If she is doing well...don't switch. I wouldn't.
    Kim

kelli is offline Senior Member

Yeah, i tend to agree, Sarah.. don't jinx yourself.. finding a food that works is hard enough.. if you find one, don't go looking for better.

kelli, tucker and koda

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Another vote to stick with the CN - it's really not that high in grain that I can see - brown rice is the only one, it's not like it's overflowing with corn or wheat or white rice

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

California Natural, Evo, Orijen, Innova are all very good, quality foods. If she is doing well on it, why switch. The holistic vet I take my boys to sells Evo, Innova and CA Natural and recommends them all depending on what works for the individual dog. If she's doing well, I would personally switch.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I am just going to chime in with another vote for sticking with what works. When you get on the food roller coaster it can be hell trying to find the one that works well for your pup. You're already there, so why mess things up?
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

I just switched two of ours to EVO. Reba was 14 months when we made the switch and I think that's right around the minimum age they recommend for grain-free. I know I personally wouldn't feel comfortable switching to grain-free much earlier than that. Have to agree that if she's doing great on the CN, I probably wouldn't switch. Good luck!
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast