For those who give probiotics

Thread: For those who give probiotics

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultFor those who give probiotics

What form and how much do you give- I've heard some really positive things about probiotics but really don't know that much about them and dogs! So was just wondering, why do you give them? If you just give yogurt with live cultures or tablets? and the positive or negatives you've seen! Thxs- Di

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

My vet said that most yogurts and probiotics for humans do not contain Enterococcus faecium, which is one of the main ingredients in probiotics made specifically for animals. She said that E. faecium is what makes the probiotic beneficial for dogs, yogurt is just a treat. There are some makers of human probiotics that put E. faecium in them, I think most of them you have to order online.

http://www.thewholedog.org/id25.html

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Di

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom View Post
    My vet said that most yogurts and probiotics for humans do not contain Enterococcus faecium, which is one of the main ingredients in probiotics made specifically for animals. She said that E. faecium is what makes the probiotic beneficial for dogs, yogurt is just a treat. There are some makers of human probiotics that put E. faecium in them, I think most of them you have to order online.

http://www.thewholedog.org/id25.html
    Thx.s I didn't know that about E.faecium- so will be cheacking out the site you provided.
    Last edited by Di; 04-24-2009 at 10:29 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

I give them treats with probiotics in them. I'm sorry I forget the name right now, but there are many out there. I get mine at the local feed store where I buy there food. I make sure they get at least one a day.

Di

Quote Originally Posted by joflake View Post
    I give them treats with probiotics in them. I'm sorry I forget the name right now, but there are many out there. I get mine at the local feed store where I buy there food. I make sure they get at least one a day.
    I get Sammi's food at a feed store, so I'll check around- Thanks for the info.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I've been using the Bacpak N-zymes (google N-zymes) for quite awhile. I believe it's cut my food use by 20-25% due to better digestion. Supposedly helps gassy dogs also that may be more prone to bloat. Anne

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I use Multi Dophilus from www.progressivelabs.com

Yogart is a treat and not nearly as strong in probiotics as a straight probiotic itself.