Problems choosing a food!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems choosing a food!

DefaultProblems choosing a food!

OK, so I've got two dogs with two different stomachs here.* Macey & Coco have been back & forth among several different foods.* I can't seem to find one that sits really well with both & that doesn't require Macey to eat 14 cups of food a day.* Since I'm new...background info!

Macey is 93 lbs. Lab/GSP X. 3 years old. VERY active.* History of "digestive upsets"(A.K.A. room clearing gas).* Will eat lots of food(6-8 cups Nutro, 14 cups Purina dog chow)
    Coco is 57 lbs.* Purebred Chocolate Lab.* Couch potato, but playful. Finicky. Eats a normal doggie amount of 2 cups a day.* Sensitive tummy...pukes.

So, I've had them on Nutro, I'm pretty sure the Chicken/Rice/Oatmeal...the sensitive stomchs stuff.* I recently switched them to Diamond's new formula Chicken & Rice....now to Beef Meal & Rice(they prefer beef flavored foods).* I was so excited...Coco was switching well & Macey is only eating 5 cups of food a day....then...Coco barfed big time today. * I had them on Canidae at the beginnig of the summer & their coats were horrible)!

I need a reasonably priced food(no more expensive than Nutro) that is high quality.* I need something that will sit will on a sensitive stomach, yet fill up Macey the horse, and be corn free.* I've had them on Diamond before, but Macey ate more then.* What should I look for in a food?* How do I determine what is high calorie?* What's the difference between Nutro & Nutro MAX?* The big appeal in Diamond is that I can get it sorta locally(30 min away) & that it was $20 for 40 lbs...while the Nutro is $35 for 40 lbs.*

I'll immediately rule out foods with corn & by-products.* I prefer foods that are wheat & soy free & do not contain anything that starts with "animal" ------ or generalizations like "poultry" -------.

My choices locally are: (Tried the ones in Pink)
    Nutro/Nutro MAX
    Diamond
    Science Diet
    Chicken Soup
    Eukanuba
    Solid Gold
    Canidae
    Innova EVO
    Eagle Pack
    Purina/Purina ONE
    Alpo
    Pedigree
    Iams
    Pro Plan

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Problems choosing a food!

I'll immediately rule out foods with corn & by-products.* I prefer foods that are wheat & soy free & do not contain anything that starts with "animal" ------ or generalizations like "poultry" -------.
    In that case, avoid Science Diet, Eukanuba, Alpo, Pedigree and most Purina products. These foods all contain the ingredients you want to avoid.

Out of the foods you listed in terms of quality the better foods are Chicken Soup, Solid Gold and Innova EVO. Of course, just because they are the better foods doesn't mean to say they will work for your dogs. Some dogs thrive on these premium foods but others find them too rich...EVO for example may not be the best choice for a dog with digestive issues because it is very ingredient dense.

Macey is 93 lbs. Lab/GSP X. 3 years old. VERY active.* History of "digestive upsets"(A.K.A. room clearing gas).* Will eat lots of food(6-8 cups Nutro, 14 cups Purina dog chow)
    When you say "active", how "active" do you mean? I realise that with poor quality foods like Dog Chow you need to feed more but I can't imagine feeding even the hardest most active working dogs on 14 cups a day. That is an awful lot of food poor quality or not and feeding that amount is bound to cause stomach upsets.

If she is highly active (again, I'd be interested to know how much) I would recommend a working dog/performance food. Performance foods have higher levels of fat and protein and are suited to working dogs and highly active pets that burn more calories then they consume.

Based on what you have posted, I think these foods might be worth a try:

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul
    Adult Dog Formula

Ingredients
    Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, ocean fish meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, oatmeal, millet, white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, egg product, tomato pomace, duck, salmon, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, Enterococcus faecieum, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

And a possibility for your active girl:

Solid Gold Mmillennia Beef & Barley Adult Dog

Dry food formula made with Beef, Barley, Brown Rice & Sweet Potatoes. Ideal for active adult dogs, to provide the energy levels required for sports or performance, and to maintain total health.

Beef | Beef Meal | Cracked Pearled Barley | Brown Rice | Millet | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Menhaden Fish Meal | Flaxseed Oil | Parsley | Thyme | Dried Seaweed Meal | Dried Cranberries | Dried Sweet Potatoes | Dried Apples | Dried Carrots | Dried Chicory Root | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |*

ThatsMyGirl Guest

The only problem I have w/ Trickster's advice (ya know I luv ya Trickster ) is that Chicken Soup has a LOT of ingredients ~ there are at least 5 protein sources in that food, not to mention loads of other ingredients. If you think it is something in the food that is setting them off, then look for a simplier food than this one.

Both Solid Gold and Eagle Pack are nice foods. A lot of people seem to have good luck w/ the EP foods.

One last thought -- if you have Evo available to you, do you also have California Natural (made by the same company)? Both their lamb & chicken foods are very simple and it saved my girl from having to go on a prescription diet (big time GI issues, too!).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

The only problem I have w/ Trickster's advice (ya know I luv ya Trickster ) is that Chicken Soup has a LOT of ingredients* ~ there are at least 5 protein sources in that food, not to mention loads of other ingredients.* If you think it is something in the food that is setting them off, then look for a simplier food than this one.
    Aw, thankies.

Actually, good points and I agree. I prefer single protein source foods but only because my dogs do well on them. The food I feed is a lot like California Natural...simple ingredients. You can't really go wrong with those foods. Also, single protein sources are better should future food allergies/intolerance's develop...then your dog would have only been exposed to one or two protein sources leaving other options open. If your dog has been exposed to chicken, lamb, turkey, duck, etc., all in one go it doesn't leave a lot of choice left.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

I would try Eagle's Natural formula.* It is supposed to be good for dogs with sensitive stomachs.* If you are looking for a food with one protein then I would look at the Lamb & Rice formula.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Poco

So, I've had them on Nutro, I'm pretty sure the Chicken/Rice/Oatmeal...the sensitive stomchs stuff.* I recently switched them to Diamond's new formula Chicken & Rice....now to Beef Meal & Rice(they prefer beef flavored foods).* I was so excited...Coco was switching well & Macey is only eating 5 cups of food a day....then...Coco barfed big time today. * I had them on Canidae at the beginnig of the summer & their coats were horrible)!
    How often does your dog vomit? How often since you switched to Diamond? I have a dog with who is a nervous nelly and has tummy probs. Pukes often sometimes and can go long bouts and never do it. But I feel if I continue to change his diet I am just aiding in his digestive issues.

For you high energy dog your may consider something like a performance food. Diamond makes one. Proplan dogs. Just about anyone.
    Kim

labby is offline Senior Member

What's wrong with by-products?

It's not meat, but the organ matter from the chicken, the guts, liver, heart, brains, intestines, stomach etc. I think this is a human thing, because those organs are always the first to be eaten by wild canids, wild felines, and pretty much any other. They don't go for the 'meaty haunch', they go for the gut and pull out all that gooey stuff and eat it.

Meat byproducts in dog food by law do not include hair, horn, teeth or hooves, feathers or manure. It does include organs, including the lungs, spleen, intestines, brains, kidneys and liver, and in the case of chicken byproducts will include the head and feet. About 50 percent of a slaughtered cow will not go for human use, most of this leftover goes into the pet food industry, not because it's unhealthy. How many of us rush out to the grocery store to eat a daily meal with tripe (stomach), chitlins (intestines), and scrambled brains? Believe it or not, while organ meats are gross to think of eating to humans, they are also extremely high in natural vitamins and minerals.
    I have a couple of mine on the Beef ProPlan. They love it, I love their stools and its easy to find in the stores.

Laura

Can you get ProPlan by Purina? I'd try the ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach. I had two of mine on that last year and they did very good on it.

LOL; Laura, I read that as the stools were easy to find in the store!! LOL

Might also try Diamond Naturals for LB puppies.* Basically a lamb and rice formula. No corn and no wheat.

Ingredients
    Lamb, egg product, lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), beet pulp, natural flavor, flaxseed, fish meal, brewers dried yeast, salmon oil (a source of DHA), potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, L-carnitine, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

I guess I just don't trust by-products in a food. I've done some research & don't like what I've read. I've spoken with a nutritionist & I don't like what she told me about by-products, either. Coco will vomit after she eats grass, maybe once a week? I don't know if it's food related or not....I guess I really don't know how much it is "normal" for a Lab to vomit? Coco's been unhealthy enough for most of her life that I freak whenever something goes wrong....

How active is Macey....hmmmm....the best way to describe her is a freight train. Get outta her way or you're in trouble! Macey runs around the yard 1 hour in the am & 1 hour in the pm. She plays with Coco all day. We play fetch for 30 min around noon. She & I have a "dogfight" around 4 pm, but only for 15 min. I honestly don't think she can sit still! She dances around the house & is always chewing something(whether it be the couch or a toy I get her).

I'll have to talk to my nutritionist friend about foods again, too. I really need to settle on one...I've given them all at least 2 months. Maybe I'll get two different foods & each dog gets what she does best on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast