possible UTI?

Thread: possible UTI?

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

Defaultpossible UTI?

I have read about UTI's over an dover on this site and now I ma wondering if this is what my puppy may have.

He is 9 months old next week, neuteredand weighs around 75 -80lbs (estimate - he was 70lbs at the beginning of October)
    He is house trained and can hold it through the night without any problems - infact won't go out in the morning until he has eaten. He holds it through out the day if we are away (very occasionally up to eight hours - yestrday was one of those rare days)

but ....at night when we are home the dog will stand at the water bowl and drink like there was no tomorrow and we are constantly getting up to let him out every 15 - 30 minutes. and every time he goes out it is like a racehorse and then right back in. He is not this bad during the day if we are home - it is still frequent but what I would consider normal for a puppy - we are guessing he does not drink like this when we are not home as the bowl always has a bit in the bottom and it wouldn't at this rate when we return. It seems to start after dinner.

Sunshine (2 yr old spayed female) was never like this so we are not sure if this is normal and may calm down once he is more grown or if it sounds liek a UTI - it is just not consistent through out the day which is why I haven't thought that was the problem.

Any advice will help. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: possible UTI?

I looked up his symptoms in the Dog Owner's Vet Handbook and if he were my dog I would schedule a vet visit. He might be doing this because he is happy your home or it might be something more serious, such as diabates or a kidney problem.
    good luck
    Olie

Thansk I think I'll give the vet a call - I like to check with you guys first as inevitably the vet always says lets see him and then there isnothing wrong - I hate paying for my over analytical musings - you guys keep me in check!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

You might want to buy that book. The authors names are James Giffin and Liisa D. Carlson. It will pay for itself in advice and not making unwarrented trips to the vets. In this case I think its better to be safe than sorry.
    Olie

I am going to see if I can gfind it online tonight and order it thanks - I di callt he vet and they took a look at the levels from last month (thyroid and kidney and glucose) when he was tested and they were fine - this has been a constant for the last six months so we think it is probably a behavioral thing. who knows what goes through those thick heads of theirs!

Fill his water dish to the top when you leave for the day and check it right when you get home. He might not drink much when your gone because he knows he can't go out while your gone.
    Olie