my lab eats grass a lot, how can i reduce this ?

Thread: my lab eats grass a lot, how can i reduce this ?

Defaultmy lab eats grass a lot, how can i reduce this ?

my 4.5 yr old yellow lab (she is fixed) eats a lot of grass, especially when i take her and my other 3 yr. old male to the nearby grassy park to play. all the male wants to do is fetch the whole time, but the yellow (Ruby) is constantly eating grass (or goose crap), only briefly stopping a few times to run around and play. but she has no desire to fetch/retrieve. usually she doesnt get sick after eating grass, but today she did, probably because she also ate the goose crap. but even on our daily walks around the neighborhook, she tries frequently to get a quick bite here and there ,from people's lawns. does she eat grasss because she is not getting enough fiber in her daily diet? i feed her mostly commercial frozen pre-made raw dinners, plus sometimes kibble instead of the raw (maybe 30-40 %). any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated !

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: my lab eats grass a lot, how can i reduce this ?

I'm not aware of any way of reducing that except by keeping her on a concrete highway or parking lot.

Labs are notorious for eating grass.* It's present at all times but seems to get particularly stronger at seasonal times.

At our weekly LabFests on Saturday afternoons, we've sometimes seen 7-10 Labs all grazing at the same time like a herd of cows.

While sometimes they'll upchuck some tangled grass, that doesn't happen too often with most dogs.* I do suggest you be careful about avoiding grass that's been treated with herbicides, etc.

The folklore that they eat grass when/because they're ill may have a smidge of truth but 90% of the time they eat grass because they like the taste.

The biggest downside I've seen is when a long stalk of grass is eaten and it exits the other end with a stool dangling from the end while the other end is retained in Puff's anus.* She senses it there, wants to run away from it, but it follows.

I call these "stalking danglers".

I carry plastic bags (GLAD thin film sandwich bags) to pick up Puff's poops and whenever she has a stalking dangler, I convince her to stand still, slip a bag over my hand like a mitten, and free her from her follower.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

The question is how is your dog eating the grass? If she is just picking off the top couple of inches of long grass there is nothing to be concerned about, dogs find it sweet. If she is eating big clumps of it like a cow she might have a parasite.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob, thanks for the reply. that is so funny what you said about the danglers, mine get that exact same thing occasionally !

Olie, i think she pretty much just eats the tops of the blades of grass, not big clumps. so hopefully she doesnt have a parasite. both my dogs had parasites about 6 months ago(i think it was called "coccidia" ? ) which the vet treated with medicine successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by tsx500
    Olie, i think she pretty much just eats the tops of the blades of grass, not big clumps. so hopefully she doesnt have a parasite. both my dogs had parasites about 6 months ago(i think it was called "coccidia" ? ) which the vet treated with medicine successfully.
    If she is just eating the tops of the grass it isn't anything to worry about, Oona does it every chance she gets. And like Bob Pr. said the worse thing is fighting the dreaded "Klingons" in the morning> ;D
    Olie