Extreme Shedding!

Thread: Extreme Shedding!

DefaultExtreme Shedding!

Hi Everybody!
    Well I am new to this site and really hope someone has some advice for me.* My dog Zook, a 6 yr. old yellow lab,* has an extreme shedding problem.* Out of all the vets we've seen they all seem to think it's because he is overweight which he is but it is not by much.*

See, we are a military family and we move a lot which can be stressful on anyone even a pet, I think.* We started out in Wisconsin which is where Zook was born so he was used to that climate.* Then we moved to Virginia, more humid and definately a lot warmer than Wisconsin.* Then we moved back to Wisconsin 2 years ago and have been here ever since.* As a puppy and growing up Zook never shed this bad until we moved to Virginia.* It's gotten so bad that we have him sleep downstairs in the laundry room to control the hair.* He spends a lot of time outside during the day.* My children love Zook and it makes us all sad that we have to keep him downstairs.* He is the greatest dog we've ever had!*

So I'm really hoping someone will have answers to this problem or at least some advice.* I know there will be some shedding but this is extreme.* Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Shanna

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Extreme Shedding!

When you said overweight and shedding, I immediately thought of a thyroid issue. Has this been checked?

For now I'll assume this is normal shedding. They do shed ALOT -- basically 365 days a year. It's amazing the amount of fur they drop. My advice is to get a good vacuum and enjoy your doggie!

Most labs "blow their coat" at least twice a year which is just crazy pull hand fulls of hair out at a time sheading. They shed year round though the rest of the time it's just not as severe. Do you brush him regularly? If not this may help some. We use a Zoom Groom http://www.sitstay.com/cgi-bin/sdisp.cgi/HBZG.lg.jpg made by KONG for Mocha she loves it and it really pulls out the loose hair. Also giving him extra fatty acids may help too. I give Mocha either Nutricoat http://activek9.com/eo-00766.html or Shed-X http://www.furlongspetsupply.com/shed-x.htm with her morning meal which normally helps with her sheding and keeps her coat nice and shiny. It also cuts down on itching.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Agree with the above...I would have his thyroid checked.

This breed sheds A LOT. The amount they shed varies throughout the year and it differs from individual dog to individual dog. Your move from a cold to a hot and humid area could certainly play a part in it. Diet could also be a factor -- how much of what food are you feeding him? excessive shedding can be made worse with allergies/food intolerance's.

Barring any medical issues the best way to control shedding is by good diet and regular brushing. Your vacuum is your best friend.

labby is offline Senior Member

What are you feeding?

This cartoon about sums up Labs and shedding.

Laura

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

do you brush him out at all? Zoom Groom. If your not helping remove some of that dead hair the shedding experience can be scarry.
    Kim

My 2 favorite tools: Zoom Groom and my swiffer vac that stays out and charged ALL the time!!!!