Hair loss

Thread: Hair loss

Charliesmom is offline Member

DefaultHair loss

Hi,
    I have a 2 yr old yellow lab. His hair on his underside has been thin since summer but I didn't think much of it. I assumed it was his summer coat and he'd be cooler. It is still thin, I can see pink skin on his chest, underarms, belly, groin, inner thighs, and tops of paws/front of forelegs. I am concerned this is an allergy because he had a really red front paw from licking it so I put him in booties for awhile. That helped his foot. Now his back feet esp. his back left is red b/w the first and second toes although I don't see him licking it.
    He eats half kibble (lamb and rice - anything else he throws up) and half homemade following Pitcairn's book and vet's advice and recipes. I haven't changed anything food wise. Environment wise I removed the carpet and put in laminate floor. There are 2 new area rugs in the living room. They've only been there since Thanksgiving when we did the floor. Not since the summer. Any tips or advice is welcome. Thanks. ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hair loss

Have you ever had a thyroid panel done? Do the new rugs have polyester in them? Some dogs are sensitive to the polyester.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Charliesmom is offline Member

He eats Purina One lamb and rice for his kibble. He vomited the 31st and the 1st. He had diarrhea on the 1,2,3rd and was okay for the weekend and this morning. Now tonight he has loose stools again. Can dogs get the flu? ???

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Check the Purina One; I think it has corn or wheat in it; both of those are known to be allergens with some dogs. I had a similar problem with my yellow boy when I adopted him. I put him on ProPlan Sensitive Systems (salmon based) and supplemented with Nupro (you can buy it online). He now has hair on his undercarriage (groin area is still a little sparse; but much better than before). He was also allergic to wheat straw we had put in the yard. I also asked the vet about doing a thyroid test; he said the symptoms did not point to thyroid but to allergies! :-\