What do you feed your chocolate lab??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you feed your chocolate lab??

lab13 is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat do you feed your chocolate lab??

What do you feed your chocolate lab? Mine seems to have tried everything!

Also, do you find chicken is better or another protein source.

My chocolate lab has had the most problems than any of the other labs I have ever owned.

BUT, I love her to bits!!! : )

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What do you feed your chocolate lab??

Sammi eats eukanuba lb puppy food and does great! I also find if she has been swimming allot her skin can get dry so I do use derma caps it's an oil that I put on her food one meal a day, seem's to keep her from shedding to much and she has no dandruff! There are probably others on here with other ideas, this forum is very helpful.

Well I am new with this hole lab thing, so we are feeding Nutrisouce puppy right now. But my sister has a Boxer and Golden and her Golden had problems with everything she fed her!! Seemed like everything she tried caused some sort of problem with her. She finally tried Canidae and it work!! She has been feeding it for about a year now and no problems with this. And it helped with her Boxer's gas problem too. I am thinking of switching over to that if Sadie has any problems with Nutrisouce's adult food.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Coat colour has nothing to do with allergies or food intolerance's.

What food is she on now and what have you tried?

everydog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster

What food is she on now and what have you tried?
    So true, Trickster! It's just coat color and is a little like asking what one should feed to a red headed child

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    That's an interesting theory when it comes to chocolates. While not confusing correlation with causation, sometimes allergies can be more common in chocolates due to their breeding. You could say a certain ex-president started or publicized a fad when he got a chocolate Lab. They became pretty popular which encouraged a lot of poor breeding. Therefore, it's not directly related to their color (in that all chocolate Labs are predisposed to allergies), but there is a larger pool of poor genes in chocolate Labs that may result in more allergies.

That's not my theory, I've heard it repeated several times, but it does sound logical.

Now, to answer the question. I usually feed either Eagle Pack Original or Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken and Rice.

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Recently we have had her on Pro Plan fish diet and then since she got worse on it we tried Eagle pack fish diet. Also, worse on it. We tried them both for about 10+ days and since her symptoms get so much worse we have to stop them to give her a break from the problems that she gets. Her itchyness greatly increases, she licks at her parts a lot!!! and she gets hot and restless.

So, I can't seem to find anything that suits her. We have tried Eukaunba, Iams, Pro Plan, Nutro, Medi-cal, Royal Canine, New Balance, WEllness, and Candiae.

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

How old is she? That seems like it's a lot of foods in too short a time. IMHO, 10 days is not nearly enough to see true results from a new food as there can be a "detox" period from the last food. To see full results, you should try out a food for at least 8 weeks/2 months. When we switched Shadow from Iams to NutriSource, he still got a yeast infection (and the worst one we had seen) about a month after the switch, but hasn't had a problem since.
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

I feed my two Riplees ranch - www.ripleesranch.com - standard formula and I also use the Greens Grains and herbs which helps reduce the shedding. Neither one of mine have had problems on it and they never have dry skin (I chalk that up to the GGH)
    The food is holisitc people grade food and delivered to your door byt the distributor in your area - the website will give you the contact info.

I had my Coco(chocolate) in to the vet last Friday. He commented that because of their genetics, chocos seem to have more allergies/skin issues. At least, he sees twice as many chocos with allergies/skin issues than he does both blacks & yellows combined!

I feed my girls Diamond dog food. Minimal gas, minimal poo, they look good, nobody pukes, & the price is right. I'm still trying to determine which sits best & is the most easily digested---Beef, Lamb, or Chicken.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast