what causes repeatative licking

Thread: what causes repeatative licking

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Defaultwhat causes repeatative licking

My lab is frequently licking at her parts!! She doesn't have a UTI. She does have an inverted vulva. So what can I do to help her so that she doesn't have to be always licking down there?
    Is it that her urine gets trapped in there? Is it that her urine burns in there? Is it an allergic reaction? Is it just become a habit? Does anyone else have a female lab that does this??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: what causes repeatative licking

I know that constant licking of the paws is likely to be the result of allergies, and licking other areas until their raw may be stress related, but I know nothing about licking female parts.* I would definately check with the vet, others may respond with something a bit more useful info.* In the meantime you might try to redirect her attention, say "no" when she is licking there and praise her when she stops and give her a favorite toy or chew bone to keep her busy until you find out what's really going on there.

By the way, have you researched this on the internet?* Try googling it and see what comes up.

I have asked the vet many times and she doesn't see why she is doing it. Also, has been tested many times for bladder infections and come back as No. But she does have an inverted vulva which I guess causes maybe the itchys.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Sammi also has an innie, she used to lick her "privates" alot. Since going through her 1st and hopefully only heat cycle this has decreased substantially! We are waiting until she is mid cycle, which will be mid nov. and will have her spayed at that time. How old is your pup? Has she been through a cycle? I Have heard that letting your females with innies go thru thier cycle is very helpful!-

Unfortunatly, I didn't know anything about this. She is 4 and was spayed at 6 months old. Vet didn't say a thing about it to me.

So, she has this problem for ever, so how do I relieve her discomfort? That is my goal.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure, I wasn't aware either until comming here and Sammi only had her cycle by accident. Had her schd. to be spayed and she went into heat the weekend before the procedure was schd. Maybe her vet might have some better idea's- Good luck to you and your furbaby! Hope she is doing better real soon.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Dogs can get neurotic too. Maddy licks a section on her forearm when she is stressed. Turns the area bald and scabby. Usually once I notice and tell her NO and catch her in the act a few times, she stops and lets it heal.

I asked the new vet at the clinic this week and she said that my lab is reacting to the proteins in the food. They want me to switch her over to a vegetarian diet and that this might help with this problem. She also has many many allergies as I have posted in my above post just a minute ago.

Thanks