How much does your pup weigh??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much does your pup weigh??

momof3inbc Guest

DefaultHow much does your pup weigh??

Maggie just went in for her 3rd set of shots & rabies today and weighed in at 29.1 lbs (she was born July 24) - so she is about 14wks. The vet tech said I should double her weight to get her approx adult weight? Is this correct? Will Maggie be about 60lbs full grown? When is a lab considered "full grown" - is it two years? This is my first labrador retriever so I am taking in information from all angles. I am feeding her 3-1/2 cups (split in two feedings) of Nutro Large Breed Puppy...and I am curious about your feedback on the puppy vs adult formulas....

I am amazed at the difference between a poodle and a lab. Its funny how much she has brought out the "playful side" of the poodle but yet she is still so amazingly smart.

For those of you who are interested...maggie has her own blog on her website at www.kimosullivan.com/maggie that I am portraying the life of a lab through a lab's viewpoint (I'm hoping to keep this up throughout her lifetime with us and think it will be a wonderful memoir of her years).

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dra

DefaultRe: How much does your pup weigh??

black female ("Indey" born on July 4th) 4 months young today and weighs in at 36.1 lbs.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Rowan Black Female Born July 20th weighs 27.8 pounds (as of October 26).
    Rowan is getting 1.75 cups x 2 a day of the Nutro Large Breed Puppy Food.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TBGSAM is offline Senior Member

Sarah was born June 22nd as of 10/27 she weighed 39.10 lbs. She eats @5.5 cups of large breed puppy food a day. I am going to check with our vet to see when she says is a good time to switch her to adult food, pro plan is our primary choice when she goes in for her spay at the end of this month. With Bailey we waited until he was a year as he was growing so fast gaining 10lbs or so every month until he turned 9months.
    Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05, Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13

Sadie (born June 19th) will be 20 weeks on Monday, but at 15 weeks she weighed in at 40 lbs. I feed her 4.5 - 5 cups of a Large Breed puppy food a day (Nutrisource). I am no expert, but it is possible for your pup to be 60 lbs full grown (seems fairly average).

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Every dog is different and every breed is different. There might be some rules of thumb, but I would not take what the vet tech said as absolute truth. The best prediction of your puppy's weight and size as adult is the weight and size of her parents. Most Labradors like to eat so much that they can get overweight easily. On the other hand, if you have an active dog, she might build a lot of muscle mass which will make her weigh more.

Just as example, I keep my Scotty pretty skinny for a Labrador (due to his elbow issues), but the boy is solid muscle. He weighs 70 pounds but does not look big as all. If some other people try to walk him and he decides to pull, they never expect that he has so much strength.

momof3inbc Guest

Both her parents were not big dogs....her dad was maybe 70 lbs and mom was about 55. So far Maggie appears to have quite a muscular build as did her dad (her sister we saw on the weekend is not so muscular...more of a dainty build). My sister also purchased one of her siblings and she has the same muscular build as Maggie.

When did you all switch from puppy to adult food? I have heard conflicting studies and tales about labs and puppy food?

Trickster is offline Senior Member

When did you all switch from puppy to adult food? I have heard conflicting studies and tales about labs and puppy food?
    This old debate...

You get all sorts of opinions on this. Personally, I switched mine at 6 months. I never fed a large breed puppy food.

Emma is 70 pounds and sleek. She is built like a panther...all legs lol and all muscle. Not an ounce of fat on her.

Aidan just went in and was 24.3 pounds at 10.5 weeks He is going to be a big boy. Seamus is 92 pounds, so I expect Aidan will come close to that or a bit more.
    He is eating purina pro plan chicken and rice LBF puppy food. He gets about 3 cups a day but that is quickly becoming not enough to satisfy him.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

OMG Aiden!!!!! You are almost as big as Rowan! :

BOth Rowan's parent's were a fair size but her Daddy is very muscular ~ not sure of his weight.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast