Demodex Mange

Thread: Demodex Mange

DefaultDemodex Mange

Hi all! I have a new foster baby with Demodex Mange. I have no experience with it, so any info would be helpful. She has been treated and should be getting over it, waiting for hair to fill back in. Anyone have anything else nice I should be doing for her? She'll be getting better food...and I have vitamin E and flax seed oil so I'm sure that would be helpful for her skin too if I add it to her food...anything else? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Demodex Mange

Make sure you are feeding her a GOOD QUALITY food to boost her immune system. What are you feeding? Demodex can come back any time during their life if they are under stress.

At the moment, I have Nutro Natural Lamb & Rice puppy...is that ok? I have a lot of it left and I hate to let it go to waste! But this is definitely a stressful time for her, coming from home to another.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

You might want to try Miracle Coat leave in conditioner. My Duncan (black lab in picture below) had awful mange when we first rescued him. Good nutrition and TLC were definately most important, but I also used the Miracle Coat and still do when his skin is dry.

everydog is offline Senior Member

How many spots of demodex does she have?

There's a patch on one paw that is obvious, aside from that, some spots where her hair looks thinner (though that could be nutrition or something, right?) like her face, and on a leg. No hugely obvious bald spots. I think her paw hair looks thin as well. That said, our last foster had bald patches and thinner patches that were not related to mange that filled in over time with nutrition and care.

maggieandfinn is offline Senior Member

My Maggie had it at about 4 months of age (we rescued her). We had only had her a few weeks at the time (spots on her face). The vet gave us meds and after about a month the hair was back. Lots of loving and keeping her unstressed worked great...along with the meds. Good luck but I am sure all will be fine