Changing dog food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing dog food

DefaultChanging dog food

when are you supposed to put your puppy on adult food? He will be 6 mos old Nov 10, and when should you start Senior dog food? My husband just mentioned that we should put our 9 year old on senior food. Im thinking she should have been on that a while ago, Im such a bad Mom not thinking of that, lol.......please let me know. I cant remember when we put Sidney on adult food, too long ago...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Changing dog food

If you got your puppy from a breeder, ask them first. People have a lot of opinions when to switch. Some are never on puppy food. Some switch starting at 4 months. Some wait until 8 months, after they've gotten their permanent teeth, some switch after a year.

As for senior food, if your senior is dong well on regular food, really no need to switch. A lot of senior food can be marketing gimmicks. Some have glucosamine and chondroitin in them but there really isn't enough in the food to make a difference. If you want your dog to have G/C, best to supplement yourself. If you dog needs to lose weight, cut down on the amount of food.

I am in the same boat. I have a 7.8 month old lab. He is about 60-62 lbs...

I decided after doing some research that I am going to switch to adult food at 11 months...why 11, well we are having a baby when he turns 12 months and I imagine it might stress him a little. Otherwise I would wait until 12 months and then switch.

By 11 months he will be 90% grown (height and weight).

If we nueter, it will be arround 13-18 months.

He is now on Innova LB. He has been on Iams LB, and the new Hollistic Eagle Pack LB (not good at all for him).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gerst001
    I am in the same boat.* I have a 7.8 month old lab.* He is about 60-62 lbs...

I decided after doing some research that I am going to switch to adult food at 11 months...why 11, well we are having a baby when he turns 12 months and I imagine it might stress him a little.* Otherwise I would wait until 12 months and then switch.

By 11 months he will be 90% grown (height and weight).

If we nueter, it will be arround 13-18 months.

He is now on Innova LB.* He has been on Iams LB, and the new Hollistic Eagle Pack LB (not good at all for him).

Congrats on the new baby... I thought that they should be nuetered sooner then 13-18 months....Anyone have suggestions on that

Thank you!

You can nueter as early as 6 months (even earlier in some cases), but MANY studies say you should wait and let the male grow to full size first.

Females are much different.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

while I agree waiting is a good idea and those articles are informative, its the same two that seem to always get posted.

Are there any other ones out there?

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gerst001
    while I agree waiting is a good idea and those articles are informative, its the same two that seem to always get posted.

Are there any other ones out there?
    Well, let's see .. you just said
    MANY studies say you should wait and let the male grow to full size first.
    so why don't you post 'em?* ;D

Good Point! I'll look into it this weekend.

Dani is offline Senior Member

No...there are no other ones not posted. You have to remember that the canine sports article is talking about PERFORMANCE dogs...not pet dogs. Pet dogs are just fine to get neutered at 6 months.

I switched Rider to adult food at 6months as well. And he looks like a filled out full grown dog.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast