swaying walk

Thread: swaying walk

M&C
    M&C is offline Member

Defaultswaying walk

I have read most of the post that are about HD and I am wondering what a swaying gait is? Cosmo (15 mo ) had ex-rays done at 6 mo and the vet said his left hip was about 30% out of the socket. Maggie (15 mo) had ex-rays done also her hips weren't perfect but no where near as bad as Cosmo's. I am just wondering what a swaying gait looks like. Maggie has a deffinate wiggle to her walk, but Cosmo has more of a normal gait I guess. We are going to the vet on the 13th and hopefully he can give us more answers to my many questions on HD. Do any of you know if bad hips are diagnosed at 6 mo, if their hips might not be that bad when fully grown?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: swaying walk

Do any of you know if bad hips are diagnosed at 6 mo, if their hips might not be that bad when fully grown
    Unfortunately when they are diagnosised that early they usually have a fairly bad case of HD and they don't grow out of it.

Swaying walk...hard to explain...like he's swaying his butt from left to right as he walks. Does he bend his knees?

Autumn has a bunny hop gait she was diagnosised at 6 months. Her hips are both completely out..she's 3 now, has had no surgery and is on no medication. She was on rimydl but no longer needs it. If you saw her x-rays you wouldn't believe she could walk..let alone run like she does. Somehow she manages. I keep her weight down and she's on supplements but otherwise nothing special. The cold weather bothers her and steps give her trouble in the winter months but other than that she's ok.

Good luck.

M&C
    M&C is offline Member

That's pretty much what I figured The reason I was asking is because his hips really don't seem to bother him. After a hard game of fetch he doesn't limp or anything. We have had both of them on gluc/chond. pills since the ex-rays so hopefully they do some good for him. Our vet did try to set up a ortho vet consult for us but the only ortho vet in the state will only do tpo's up to 8 or 9 mo. We were not able to make the trip to Anchorage at that time unfortunately. It is good to hear that your pup is doing as good as she is. I hope Cosmo continues to be pain free as long as possible.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I once had a dog with what I would say was a "swaying" gate when he walked slowly. His hips were perfect! So, I have no idea what it means.

My pup sways too... he's kind of long and lanky, so I hope its just that, but I am worried about his hips.

He reminds me of lion when he does it...

There is not a day that goes by that I don't wonder about hips, elbows, and shoulders of my 8 month old...I have no reason to think there is a problem, but any little thing gets me thinking.

When he gets neutered, I am having all 3 checked. It is early, but still a really good indication.

My pup Riley 8 moths was recently diagnosed wiht double hip displaysia...left is totally out of socket...right not too far behind....we r beside ourselves.....don't know what to do! I'm glad that your Autumn is doing well! We haven't made our decision yet...we don't know what to do!!!! I don't want him to suffer!!! Surgery scares me!

Quote Originally Posted by deneen
    Do any of you know if* bad hips are diagnosed at 6 mo, if their hips might not be that bad when fully grown
    Unfortunately when they are diagnosised that early they usually have a fairly bad case of HD and they don't grow out of it.*

Swaying walk...hard to explain...like he's swaying his butt from left to right as he walks.* Does he bend his knees?

Autumn has a bunny hop gait she was diagnosised at 6 months.* Her hips are both completely out..she's 3 now, has had no surgery and is on no medication.* She was on rimydl but no longer needs it.* If you saw her x-rays you wouldn't believe she could walk..let alone run like she does.* Somehow she manages.* I keep her weight down and she's on supplements but otherwise nothing special.* The cold weather bothers her and steps give her trouble in the winter months but other than that she's ok.

Good luck.