Diamond Brand Dog Food - Is it SAFE?

Thread: Diamond Brand Dog Food - Is it SAFE?

kk4389 is offline Member

DefaultDiamond Brand Dog Food - Is it SAFE?

Hello everyone. Hope you all are doing well.
    I have a question. A few weeks ago I was researching what brand puppy food to get for my new puppy. Most people said they prefer Diamond Brand. I went online to research where to find this brand and found the following Consumer Alert and am HORRIFIED!! I remember when this came out on the news and was absolutely frightened by the possibility.
    Do you think it is okay to still trust a brand that has had something like this happen?

http://www.saplonline.org/Alerts/011006.htm

Any help with this is GREATLY appreciated. I am getting my new puppy Nov. 13th and he needs some food!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Diamond Brand Dog Food - Is it SAFE?

That happened about a year ago; actually last December. I use Kirkland, which is made by Diamond, and have been very pleased. Plus, it was only ONE plant that had the problem. I have since emailed Diamond many times with questions/concerns and have always received a prompt answer. In one instance, I didn't not respond to them and their Product Manager emailed me again. I will continue to use their product.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

That is long over with and ended.

The problem was that one load of corn delivered to their SC plant had aflatoxins in it that contaminated brands of dog food that used corn.

I think the warning you saw is W-A-A-Y too broad because it lists a whole variety of Diamond products and to the best of my knowledge (could be wrong) none (or very few) of those Diamond products contain corn.

I feed Kirkland C&R (house brand, sold only at Costco warehouse clubs) which is made by the same company that makes Diamond and is most similar to what is now called "Diamond Naturals."* But at the time of this aflatoxin problem, there was only a single Diamond line, not their present two.* I continued feeding the Kirkland since it had no corn in it.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kk4389 is offline Member

Thanks zoezoe for the information. I myself have been just searching through the postings here and have read several that say that Diamond did respond appropriately and quickly. That is good to know. I live in Massachusetts and saw that the plant delivered to stores here in Mass. and it is just so scary to think that could even happen, ya know? But I have read that it IS pretty much the best Brand for the quality and health statistics. I believe I have made up my mind to go with it.
    I think I am going to try to get the Kirkland Puppy Food from Costco. Someone said you can get a 40 Lb. Bag for around $18. That is MORE than reasonable!!!
    Again, thank you for your help! Have a good day!

I feed Duke Diamond Naturals for large breed. I believe the problem they had, and I haven't researched it fully, was a load of bad grain and their quality control people missed it. It appearently killed several dogs and made a bunch more sick. Now, with that in their history, they have been very careful. My vet kinda squawked when I mentioned I was feeding diamond, so she gave me some proplan, which is full of corn and wheat. I haven't returned the bag to her yet, but I'm sticking ith the diamond naturals. When you look at cost ($13.00 for 20 lb bag) and ingredient list, its hard to beat.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Thanks zoezoe for the information. I myself have been just searching through the postings here and have read several that say that Diamond did respond appropriately and quickly. That is good to know. I live in Massachusetts and saw that the plant delivered to stores here in Mass. and it is just so scary to think that could even happen, ya know? But I have read that it IS* pretty much the best Brand for the quality and health statistics. I believe I have made up my mind to go with it.
    I think I am going to try to get the Kirkland Puppy Food from Costco. Someone said you can get a 40 Lb. Bag for around $18. That is MORE than reasonable!!!
    Again, thank you for your help! Have a good day!
    Points to consider --

-A year's membership to COSTCO is now $50/year.* BUT if you buy enough other things there, it's worth it.* Consumer Reports often rates Kirkland items a "Best Buy" and not infrequently rates a Kirkland item at the top or near it in quality.

-A 2 month old puppy is typically going to eat only 1-2 cups a day.* That will increase up to about 7-10 months age and then rapidly decline.* So a 40 lb. bag can last a L-O-N-G time.* I found out that my Puff [YF, AKC field line (competitive breeder), 63 lbs., DOB: 8-'01] didn't eat enough to keep the food in a 40 lb. bag from going stale (and unappetizing) by the time she was only half way through it.* We finally, after much experimentation, determined that was the problem.* So now, as soon as a new bag is opened, I immediately transfer its contents to 10-11 one gallon Ziplock freezer bags, suck out any extra air from each and seal it.* 5 stay out while 5 go in the freezer; when needed, one comes out of the freezer the day before opening so it reaches room temps.* You might consider buying smaller bags of Diamond Naturals puppy food (or Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy food) to avoid the staleness problem until your pup is larger. The company that makes KIrkland also makes Diamond.

- While Costco recently added a puppy food, it does not sell a LARGE BREED PUPPY food.* Many of us on this forum very much believe in feeding a LBP food to Lab puppies to protect their joints from growing too fast.* A slightly smaller faction on this forum disagrees.* You can research many threads on this forum discussing it pro and con.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

nmjanow is offline Junior Member

YES We use diamond as well for both of our labs. We have since they were on adult food after 1 yr old. Again this was a specific plant and specific types/bags. We use the Lamb and Rice. Our pet supplies plus store said what they had in stock was not affected. They were the ones that told us about the notices as well.
    We love this food. No digestive issues. Great coat. Lots of compliments on my dogs. Not a ton of waste. It's worth it and cheaper than IAMS or other brands i've seen out there.
    --Nancy<br />Mom to Mocha Chocolate, F, 07/16/02 &amp; Caramelle, Yel., F, 12/28/02

BobPr,
    That's a good idea. I buy my Diamond Naurals for LB puppy in 20 lb bag and that will fit in a 5 gal. bucket and we use a lid to help keep it air tight, but the 1 gal ziplock is a good idea.