Vomiting

Thread: Vomiting

DefaultVomiting

Well, this happened before but I thought it was car sickness.

Maui seems to vomit up his food... but at random times. For example, he vomitied this morning at 4AM. He ate his dinner last night at around 5PM. When he eats, it is full food kibbles (he doesn't bother to chew!). The vomit is also just food coming back out. There isn't any bile, or any liquid really.. just soggy full sized kibble. He usually just proceeds to re-eat it.

Maui is 5 months old. We feed him Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy Chow, which he has been eating his whole life. This problem hasnt happened in a few weeks but now he has puked three days in a row. We haven' tchanged the quantity... usually a cup and a half in the morning, half a cup at lunch, and a cup at dinner. He goes to daycare so he runs around all day there and needs a lotta calories... he is not overweight at all though (about 38 pounds now).

He doesn't act sick. Its just a sudden noise, like BLUUUUUHHHHH and then the food is in the crate and he is eating it back up again.

He is drinking a bowl or two of water a day. ... any ideas? ??? ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Vomiting

I'm not really sure...hopefully someone else will have some advice. I will tell you that Brigetta eats her food extremely fast (without chewing it) and would throw it back up...but almost immediately afterwards. I started putting a kong in her food bowl, so she would have to eat around it and that has helped a lot.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Clarence did that too when he was really little. We tried feeding him a little food at a time (just a handful at a time), so he would slow down eating. That seemed to help. The vet also gave us some doggie pepto that we gave him before eating and that helped.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

As others have said, it could be that he is eating too fast. This problem comes when the dog has eaten nothing for a long period of time and then suddenly eats a large meal. It hits the digestion hard. Rather then feed him direct from the food bowl, try spreading his food out across your yard. Not only will this keep him stimulated by making him 'hunt' for the food but it will slow him down immensely.

Parafly
    Hello!! I'm sorry to hear that your puppy's not feeling good. After reading your post I felt I had to reply, because our dog foster
    had the same symptoms. We eventually found tape worms in his stool. After being treated for tape worms he is all better. I suggest
    you keep a close eye on his stool for little white specs. Those are the tape worms, you should then bring the stool to your veterinarian and have the run tests on it. Hope this helps with your pup & keep me posted on what happen.

Sounds like he is not only eating too fast, but maybe a little too much volume at one time. A full breakfast, and a large bowl of water= a very full stomach. One exuberant doggy "burp" and blam, there is the food on the floor. If you think he is sick, or ate something bad, the treatment is to give no food or water for 12-24 hrs and limit activity. Good luck.

Uhh I am getting nervous with Maui. We are going to take him to the Vet tonight. he has not been able to keep down any food for two days. Last night we fed him and this morning he yacked it all up. The, I fed him breakfast, and that came up wtihin a half hour. Then he proceeded to yack three more times...

Someone suggested it coudl be possible (he does eat rocks sometims) that he has a blockage so the food keep scoming back up.. is this a possibility? God I am nervous.

Dave_and_Christie Guest

Sadie had a vomitting episode that lasted a couple of days when she was about 5 months aswell. We went to the vet but could find nothing really wrong with her. Grass eating, treats (too many or some that don't agree with her tummy), eating too fast, drinking too much water aswell right after a full meal, all of these are possibilites. With Sadie, we put her on a ground beef/rice mixture for a few days to allow her stomach to calm down. During that few days we fed her very little at a time, but fed her about every 2-3 hours. Slowly we increased the amount of food. Then we mixed her kibble food in, until by the end of the week, she was back to normal feedings. Best to get her checked out, but chances are it'll pass soon.
    Sadie is just over 7 months, and only recently has she begun to eat her food slower. Much slower. A cup and a half of kibble would have been gone in about 45 seconds before. Now she spends a 3-4 mintues eating. Still fast I guess, but way better than before!
    Hope everything works out!