Running with my dog, how far is too far? Hip problems...

Thread: Running with my dog, how far is too far? Hip problems...

DefaultRunning with my dog, how far is too far? Hip problems...

My black lab is about 2.5 yrs old and he was fixed about 6 mos ago?? Well about a year ago he was having some stomach problems and the vet did an exray. He said that he could see that he would have hip problems in the future because the ball portion of the joint was not circular it was squared off??

So I run several times a week and when I was running 2 to 3 miles Rocky would run with me and it was no problem. But as I have been running more and more I have been running further and further and am currently running 5 to 6 miles 3 to 4 times a week. My question is with the hip problem potential is it bad that he runs with me? How far is too far? If he runs with me should I bring a water bottle and give him water as we run?

Its more of a jog I would guess for him, about a 9 minute mile pace.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Running with my dog, how far is too far? Hip problems...

First you need to get a good understanding of what your vet means. The problem is usually not with the ball but with the socket. May need to get the hip x-rays done by OFA just so you'll know. Check out this web site:

http://www.offa.org/hipinfo.html

I would limit his running until you knew. Good luck.

I think I would check with an ortho vet too and get a better diagnosis on his hips and ask him/her for advice on the running.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree -- get him checked out properly to confirm if there is a problem.

Personally, if I knew my dog potentially had hip problems I would NOT be doing any type of forced exercise -- running on a hard surface over a sustained period of time being the worst.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I agree, if the vet thinks there could be hip dysplasia, I wouldn't encourage jogging. There are lots of other low impact activities for the dog. Chasing a ball on the lawn is better than running on the road. But I think if this is something you want to keep up, I would take the dog to a Ortho Vet and have a full evaluation done and TELL them you jog with the dog. Exercise is definately GOOD for dogs with hip problems, but you want to make sure you aren't doing one that will hurt rather than help.