Something is wrong - please help!

Thread: Something is wrong - please help!

stephanie79 is offline Junior Member

DefaultSomething is wrong - please help!

I have an almost 6 year old yellow lab (in July). She has been super active and healthy up until this afternoon. Yesterday, she had a busy day with a lot of exercise - swimming and running with our 9 month old lab and my brothers 2 year old lab.

Early this afternoon, I noticed some awkward gait in her hind legs, more noticeable when she got up from a stand. Her hind legs just seemed quite weak, enough to make me a bit nervous. Once she was up, and walked a bit, she seemed fine.

At about 5pm, it was still the same, and just concerning. I gave her some anti-inflammatory (metacam) to see if that helped her and we let her rest as I had been doing all afternoon.

This evening as we were bathing our girls, she went up the stairs and went to bed. When I went back down, I called her to come with, and her gait once again was very awkward. She attempted to go down the stairs, and slipped. Thankfully, I was right there, and helped her. My husband came to get her, and brought her downstairs. Once, she was up, she was fine...just some weakness noted.

She is not wimpering, whining or showing any discomfort when she walks or gets up- but she's quite stoic. I am definitely taking her to the vet in the morning, but I am SO nervous...I hope she just overdid it and strained something and that's it...

Any ideas????

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

She may have twisted her back with all the running around she did. Your best bet would be a vet visit.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

She could benefit from a chiropractic visit. She may have something out of wack from all the running and playing.

Prayers it is not serious.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

onecrazymamma is offline Junior Member

I questioned her back - she jumped up on our bed on Monday after having a more active weekend playing with our foster pup and swimming. She jumped up and the same thing happened again. Now that our foster pup is gone, we are keeping her resting for the entire week and see what happens. We're waiting for our insurance to activate before I bring her. She doesn't seem uncomfortable AT ALL...I am thinking she just tweaked something in there.

I've manipulated her hind leg, she has very good movement, no tenderness, swelling, and can manipulate leg with being very comfortable. I am hoping it's not an ACL issue or luxating patella...which I doubt because she's never ever had any issues and has always been a very active dog without any issues.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I'd get some xrays to rule out anything major, and as long as there are no slipped discs, etc, agree w/ the chiro. But if you've not done hip and lower back xrays yet, I'd definitely do them.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

onecrazymamma is offline Junior Member

Thanks everyone! I am really hoping to get her insurance active before I bring her in. She has not had any more issues, but I have not let her have any exercise except for her running out into the woods. She does stairs up/down without any difficulty.

I am going to look into a chiro! That's a great idea