Biotin research for skin problems

Thread: Biotin research for skin problems

DefaultBiotin research for skin problems

Source:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Frigg M, Schulze J, Volker L.
    In a collaborative study with small-animal veterinary surgeons, dogs with fur and skin conditions were treated with biotin (approximately 5 mg biotin/10 kg body weight/day) for 3 to 5 weeks. In total 119 cases could be treated which were reported to show symptoms such as dull coat, brittle hair, loss of hair, scaly skin, pruritus or dermatitis. Cases requiring other treatments with e.g. glucocorticoids, were excluded from the study. In 60% of the cases all symptoms were reported to be cured after the biotin treatment and in a further 31% an improvement was noted; in only 9% no effect was recorded. All breeds responded but to a variable extent: e.g. in Poodles the response was lower (no response in 6 out of 11 cases) than in Alsatians where all improved and 14 out of 29 were completely cured. The results confirm the favourable effect of biotin for treatment of fur and skin conditions in dogs.

PMID: 2602924 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I am going to give Biotin a good try.

Morgan with Lya

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Biotin research for skin problems

Very interesting! I know a few dogs that may benefit from that tidbit.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Off topic but I was wondering if the Merrick food was still working out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The Merrick food is still doing very well indeed! Matter of fact I made a mistake one morning around 5:30 amd gave her Rocco's Eagle Pack and Rocco her Merrick. She started to go after her ears in an hour, but other than that mixup her ears have been looking great!

Thanks for asking,

Morgan with Lya and Rocco the Rhodesian

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by roccolya
    The Merrick food is still doing very well indeed!* Matter of fact I made a mistake one morning around 5:30 amd gave her Rocco's Eagle Pack and Rocco her Merrick.* She started to go after her ears in an hour, but other than that mixup her ears have been looking great!

Thanks for asking,

Morgan with Lya and Rocco the Rhodesian
    I'm glad to hear that you findly found something that will work for Lya. I'm sure that it's a big relief for you! Interesting about the biotin. I'm going to pass the info on to my mom as her little guy has really been suffering w/ itchy skin.

That is one beautiful dog you've got there.

I have a black lab that had a patch of fur on his leg that would not grow and started him on a supplement called Dinovite. Not the most appetizing "stuff" but he eats anything so not a problem for him.
    If you Google Dinovite you will reach the site and see the info.

I wasn't quite sure what the problem your dog is experiencing but thought you'd be interested.

I heard about this on my local radio station. Jakesperson

everydog is offline Senior Member

Many supplements contain biotin. It's MUCH less expensive to try the biotin as a single supplement and take it from there. I think it tends to soften the coat, which is not always a good thing.