hair loss around eyes and muzzle

Thread: hair loss around eyes and muzzle

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Defaulthair loss around eyes and muzzle

My lab has some hair loss around her eyes and her muzzle. What could be the cause of this? Her muzzle is also a little pink or maybe it is just because I am seeing her skin and not hair around there.
    Could this be caused from allergies especially the hair loss around the eyes? She rubs her face on the carpet so I figured that she must be rubbing the hair around her muzzle off. Any ideas?? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: hair loss around eyes and muzzle

Demodectic mange?

My dog hunter has very slight hair loss around the eyes. My vet said hair loss around the eyes is due to allergies. I would check w/your vet. They'd probably suggest something to stop the itchiness.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

That's where you usually first see it when it's demodectic mange. Otherwise, I would think allergies.

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Definitely sounds like demodectic mange. Have the vet do a scraping. And even if it turns out negative for demodectic mange, have him/her do it again later. Sometimes it's very hard to get the mange mites for that type mange, so it can be hard to diagnose.

If your lab does have it, the good news is that it's not contagious like sarcoptic mange. The bad news is that it's much more difficult to get rid of....and can very well be a reocurring problem. But it can definitely be managed. Good luck....keep us posted.

Nancy

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Vet says that the eye hair loss is from "food allergies". Now just have to figure to what.

Seems that the more I try to feed her a hypoallergenic food the worse reactions she gets.

Thanks for your thoughts though.

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Our son and his wife are going through the food allery problem with their boxer. You just have to do a trial and error thing until you identify what your dog is allergic to. Here's a good article about it:

http://www.vetcentric.com/reference/...ness&MODE=full

good luck!