Yeast Ear Infection...getting worse ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yeast Ear Infection...getting worse ?

DefaultYeast Ear Infection...getting worse ?

Hi need some help. My dog has a yeast infection in his left ear and we have been going to the vet now for 2 weeks trying to get rid of it. First off Jersey was treated with Burrows solutions but unfortunately this only helped out for about a week and then started to get worse again. Now the vet has Jersey on Surolan which he started taking on Saturday. Sunday morning I went to put his medicine in his ear and it looked worse. His ear looked really red and sticky. Throughout his infection his ear never really bothered him other then the occasional scratch but now he doesn't want anyone even touching his ear.

My question is this....can dogs be allergic to types of antibiotics ?

Should his ear go from okay looking to really red and sticky with medicine. Is this just the process of getting the yeast out?

Please help me.

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Yeast Ear Infection...getting worse ?

If he's being treated it should not be getting worse. When Mocha had a yeast infections last year the vet gave us ZYMOX enzyme drops and cleaner I was to use it twice a day for two weeks. It cleared it right up. Here is a link you have to get it from a vet though.
    http://www.petkingbrands.com/zymox_o...atic_solution/

Another thing a lot of people on here use and swear by is the purple stuff. You can make it at home and it's supposed to work on all types of ear infections. http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html
    Labby has the recipe on th article above and a link where you can buy it if you don't want to make it. I think it's a little messy but if it works it would be worth it.

I am just confused about all of this. I have spent well over $300.00 and now with this medicine his ear is so sore. I have placed a call into the vet with no response yet. Is it wise just to start trying things on my own and hope they clear up. Don't know what to do with all of this just want his ear better but feel I have spent enought with this vet that he should be doing better not worse.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The purple stuff should actually sooth their ear because of the geltain violet in it. If you can find the stuff around you I would try it it won't hurt and it should sooth it alittle at least. I would talk to the vet though it should be much better by now if you've been treating it for 2 weeks.

Hank has bad ear infections too. They get better when I put him on the stuff from the vet and then after a few they start to get infected again. I have finally changed his food... Taken him off off wheat and corn and He seems to be doing a lot better. I have him on Nature's Recipe Venison and Rice blend. Good luck and when you find something that works let me know!

I wouls start adding priobiotics/acidophilus to his food. Make sure you get it from the refrigerated section of a health food store (can be for humans). Maggie used to get terrible yeast infections, but has not gotten them in a few years since I added the acidophilus to her food. I give her one capsule per day.

Also check what type of food you are feeding. Although this time of year yeasty ears pop up from the environmental changes, a lot of dogs cannot tolerate wheat, corn, soy, etc. Some cannot do chicken and can do lamb, etc. etc.
    I have a girl with a yeasty ear. We went to the vet on Tuesday, got a new solution to clean with and some Otomax and it's 95% gone now. Also, cleaning the ears too much will irrate them. I would think of looking to a new vet if you have spent that much time and money and no iprovemement.

We've had a lot of problems with yeast in Riley's right ear. Like, all the time!! we changed foods about a month and a half ago, and she's had a big improvement. She's currently on no corn at all. Seems to help.
    We also clean her ears regulary, just warm water and a wash cloth, seems to help a lot. She has not had an outbreak of ear problems in almost 7 weeks. (Normally it was every week)
    If you're not getting any response from your vet, I would consult another one, especially after spending that much money, with no improvement!

[attachment deleted by admin]

labby is offline Senior Member

If its only one ear, its usually something in their food or environment. Try switching proteins (chicken to lamb or vice versa). If that doesn't work, then make sure there is not wheat in the food or treats. If that doesn't work, then try no corn.

The purple stuff is the only stuff I use in ears anymore. You can buy it premade at a place in Canada (one of those links on the ear site).

Laura

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

I make my own but you may want to check one of your local health/nutrition stores. One of them that I go to carries this one: http://liquidhealthinc.com/prodInterior.php?prodID=32 . Check the search function to see if there is a store near you that carries it.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast