Should "poop" be dry?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should "poop" be dry?

DefaultShould "poop" be dry?

A couple of weeks ago when we got or pup, the person we bought her from recommended Hill's Science Diet for Puppies-small bites, I bought a bag but after finding this wonderful forum I found out what to look for in the ingredients and realized that Hill's is not the best around.
    I got a bag of Kirkland Puppy food at Costco (better ingredients and made by Diamond), and started to gradually mix both foods in a course of a week, for pretty much the whole time her poop was really soft ending up in diarreah. I stopped feeding it at a 50/50 mix. Also at the time we were giving her milk bones which we also stopped in case they were the cause of the diarreah. We fed her boiled rice/boiled chicken for a few days. Since I'm not sure if the Kirkland was causing the problem, I went back to the HIll's Science Diet and her diarreah went away, her poop is sort firm/mushy, buy not dry.
    Should it be pretty dry? Do you think something in the Kirkland food was causing the diarreah?. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow and will tell him about it. But I saw some Science Diet bags at the lobby when I made the appointment. so he might still recommend it.
    What are your suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Should "poop" be dry?

my puppy could not handle milkbone treats. It gave him severe diarreah. It took a week or two to get his poop back to completely normal.

Hill's science not the greatest food...I don't know much about Kirkland puppy food but a lot of people here feed it to their pups with great results.
    Once her system settles down I'd try the slow switch again. I took a couple weeks to complete the food switch.

Firm...yet kinda mushy is how I'd describe my puppy's poop (love how we discuss poop on here ) I think that's normal.

We'll see what the others say..
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Maybe try feeding less of the Kirkland food. It is probably a richer food than Hills.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It was probably the switching food that caused the loose stools I would go ahead mix it for a week or so and switch all the way and give it a week or two after to firm up again. If it dosn't then maybe try something else. Some dogs are really sensitive to food change and others couldn't care less.

Yes the VET will push Science Diet they almost all do since most really don't know very much about food and they get discounts on it.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

The general rule for switching puppies from one food to another is to feed one part new to three parts old for 3-4 days, then 2:2 for the same time, then 3:1, then all new.

I suggest you also cut out the Milk Bones so it's just a question of the 2 foods.

I think the Kirkland has more kcals/cup so it may take less food.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

PhoebeJeebies is offline Senior Member

My girl can't eat milkbones - they give her diarrhea also. That could be what the problem is. I agree - just try her on the Kirkland with no Milk Bones and see what happens.
    Becca & Phoebe

How's the poop situation? Things getting better?

For treats try Old Mother Hubbard's cookies. They are pretty good.

The "poop" is better,she is back on the Science Diet. Not dry but it has shape! no more of the runs...
    During the week we will be mixing the Kirkland food very slowly and see how she does. After knowing about the ingredients on the Science Diet, I definitively want to switch, If not the Kirkland it will be some other brand.
    I think the problem was the milk bones, but will see....

Thanks for all the responses!

ps. Thanks Buckyball for asking

I think dogs under 1 year of age to make a switch over 12-14 days to be safe. But that is me. When I do it, I will not feed any treats at all. I will use kibble for the treats.

Some foods, while high quality, will never treat the dog well. Sometimes it is a guessing came, just take your time and once you make the switch give it at least 30 days on top of that to see the dogs system fully adjust..

Glad to hear the runs have stopped!

Hopefully the switch to Kirkland will go over smoothly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast