What kind of food??

Thread: What kind of food??

DefaultWhat kind of food??

What kind of dog, puppy food do yall reccomend??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mybabymambo Guest

DefaultRe: What kind of food??

if you do a search under dog food you will be able to pull up some great info on types of dog food. There are so many that its hard to name just one. Some foods would be ok for one dog but bad for another.

THe search button is on the top left part of the screen.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

While there's not a unanimous opinion on this, I think more of us recommend a LARGE BREED PUPPY FOOD than those who do not.

LBP foods are specially formulated to provide slow growth and closure of the joints. There are also variations in opinion of how long to feed it but again more would say for 10-12 months.

Among the better LBP foods are ProPlan, Eukanuba, and Nutro Natural Choice. At a lesser quality (more corn, other grains) but adequate are Iams and Nutro Max.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

I agree with Bob Pr. I personally feed NutriSource, who also makes a quality LBP food. As long as it's a LBP formula or a food formulated for All Life Stages, it should be ok.

Darcy
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

Trickster is offline Senior Member

The best food is what works for your dog. Finding that best food is trial and error. If you are lucky enough to have a dog that does well on anything (I have 3 of those!) you shouldn't have much trouble. If you have one that has foody issues it can be tougher.

When looking for a quality food, one of the first ingredients should be a meat meal. Not just "chicken" or "lamb" but "chicken meal" or "lamb meal". I prefer single meat protein source foods. With the grains look for good quality ones such as brown rice, oats and barley. Avoid foods with wheat, soy and corns like the plague.

Ask your breeder.

What are you feeding now?

Purina puppy chow. But he is hogging it and getting fat. Is that normal??

I don't remember where you are located. Is there a Petsmart or Petco near you? You might consider a Large Breed Puppy Food ... ProPlan (by Purina) is a better choice over the regular Puppy Chow. Also, if you don't have the above stores, you probably have a feed/seed store which should sell the ProPlan or possibly even Diamond Dog Food. It, too, is better nutritionally for your puppy. I would not free feed him; that will make him fat.