Would you consider a puppy that has a "grandmother" who had an OFA report of "DEGENERATIVE JOINT DISEASE I UNILATERAL LEFT".* The father of the pup just turned 2 yrs old a few months ago and his OFA official certification won't be in until the end of the year.* His preliminary report was "Good".
I read the statistics about ED and breeding (off the OFA website):
Normal Elbows x Normal Elbows = 12.2% offspring affected with ED
Normal Elbows x Dysplastic Elbows = 26.1% - 31.3% offspring affected with ED
Dysplastic Elbows x Dysplastic Elbows = 41.5% offspring affected with ED
I think I also read that statistics are higher for a passage of ED from parent to offspring if the affected parent is the dam?
Should I just run away?* Should I wait til his official certification comes out?* If its Normal can I go ahead?* By the way, the dam has a clear report for several generations.
Just thought i'd get some opinions!* Thanks!
hmmm the grandmother shouldn't have been bred then, no? But seeing that she is a grandma says she was...not good.
I'd be careful.
<3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3
I hope one of the breeders will chime in.
When I was researching my dog's parents, I looked not only at the parents, but also at the parent's siblings. Did you check the OFA's website for that?
I thought OFA turned things around in just a few weeks. But I'd make sure that the info you have there is correct too (even call OFA) -- it sounds a little funny to me that if the dog turned 2 a few months ago that his certification won't be back until the end of the year.
Well, there are an awful lot of breeders who will breed a dog with one grade I elbow. There is lots of information suggesting that a unilateral grade I elbow can be the result of injury. Personally, if the one grandparent was a grade I and was not clinical - never showed signs of lameness, I would not have a problem with it. However, the fact that the puppy's father was bred on pre-lims is a red flag to me, and also the fact that they say that the dog was 2 a few months ago and will not have clearances until the end of the year. You can do final OFA's on your dog's second birthday, and the results will be back within a few weeks.
Ditto. Why the rush to breed until the health certs are done.Originally Posted by Labsrme
Yeah, i'm not sure when the grandmother was first screened...but this screening was done when she was 49 months old.* I don't know if that makes a difference or not...
I emailed the breeder about this late last night and haven't heard back yet.* On the initial set of questions I asked if there was any history of illness in regard to the sire, she said that none that she was aware of...that she had talked to the breeder that she bought him from not that long ago and that breeder was still breeding both parents.* I don't think she's lying to me, especially since it wasn't reported until May of this year.
I can always back out...I have until the pups are 4 weeks old to back out and get 100% of refund back.* I think I might go ahead, place the deposit, and see what the sire's report says.
Is it possible to get a normal report when they are 2 and then develop it later, thus making them dangerous to breed?* Thanks for the help.
(also, the sire's birthday is 9/22..and she said she'll have his certification by the end of the year...not AT the end of the year)
This thread's interesting.
Jeff, you've decided to get a lab?
yeah, I thought your wife and you decided to wait? Did something change?
I mean it's great! if she has finally agreed to getting a lab ;D
<3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3
Yes we have
Wife gave me the okay...she's on board (I just had to agree to get a small "dog" someday down the road...lol), but she's excited about it.
And yeah I work 8-5..but i work in my own business and go home for lunch...can also stop by the house while out running errands...plus I have a cousin that specializes in dog behavior problems if I ever have any trouble!
So, yeah, sometime in Jan. we should have a new member of the fam!
When was the dog bred? Have the puppies been born? I know alot of breeders will breed on prelims. Personally, I wanted the dam and sire of my puppy to have their final clearances. All of this was done, and I spent hours on the OFA website, verifying what the breeder told me and looking at the siblings of the parents, grandparents, etc. Nothing in life is guaranteed, but it was still important to me to know that genetically it was a sound breeding.