Rash on Belly

Thread: Rash on Belly

DefaultRash on Belly

A couple of days ago i noticed a rash on Shiloh's belly! He also has been biting his paws. I am suspecting that the Nutro-Max Large Breed might be the cause! Any thoughts about this?

Shiloh and his kitty Ziggi

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Rash on Belly

Duhhh....lol here is the correct picture

Shiloh and his Kitty Ziggy

How long on the Nutro?
    We've been thru this with Riley, and are still in the process of finding the right food.
    The licking/Biting of paws is a sure sign of some sort of allergic reaction, and the rash on the belly goes along with that.
    Anything new in the yard? Grass, has she played someplace different? Chemicals sprayed in the yard?
    Keep an eye on the rash, etc, if it gets worse or doesn't improve within in a few days contact your vet!

[attachment deleted by admin]

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Shiloh has been on nutro since I got him...about a year! I had him looked at, and the vet said it might be allergies..and put him on meds for 2 weeks...i helped for the time he was on the meds. I dont spray anything in the yard...and nothing new has been introduced to it!

Shilo and Ziggi

Anne is offline Senior Member

Cute picture!!

When we lived in Fl (upstate from you) one of our boys suffered terribly from some sort of environmental allergen. It affected him from November onwards until March, every year.

I hope this is not the case with Shiloh. But, if it does worsen, it may be worth your while to have some further testing done.

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Some pictures would help.

My Puff [YF, AKC field line (competitive breeder), 63 lbs., DOB: 8-'01] had red rashes on her belly plus dark splotches that looked like mud smeared on her belly.

BUT a trip to the CollVetMed @ K-State's Tchng Hospl diagnosed it as a case of staph infection probably caused by our morning walks through dew-laden grass plus depositon of pollen, etc., on her tummy.* Our vet prescribed a course of cephalexin.* We went through that 3X until I demanded to see their dermatologist.*

She decided on the probable cause (moisture on the belly, pollen and detritritus as an irritant) and Rx'ed
    a medicated shampoo.* That's worked GREAT!!* It keeps it controlled or non-existent.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks for all the tips and insight to this matter. I went and bought a bag of kirkland dogfood and to my surprise, Shiloh chomped down his breakfast like i have never seen before! I hope this will help the allergies. BTW....called my vet, and she agreed that a food change might be a good start.....lets hope and see how it goes!... Thanks again for the quick responses..you guys are great!!

I too would suspect Staph infection. Has she been swimming or anything lately. Mocha had a staph infection on her belly and some on her feet after swimming in a algee filled lake and not getting a bath after (She was with my parents) It was red blotches on her stomach and her paws were a little red inbetween. The vet gave us some antibiotics and a medicated shampoo and I had to wash her belly I think every other day. It cleared right up. I would suggest having the vet check for staph first before switching food and setting off a possible rollercoaster of food problems.