Licking the air?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Licking the air?

nmjanow is offline Junior Member

DefaultLicking the air?

Haven't posted in a quite a while, not since the site switched formats. I can't for the life of me figure this one out. 4 yr old chocolate female who now licks the air. She used to lick the floor around where we ate and the table but it's progressively gotten worse. Now she air licks whether we are eating or not. The only way to stop her is to distract her with a bone or feed her ice cubes. But even then sometimes she won't stop. She keeps right on licking after her ice cubes are gone. Has anyone seen this before? Have a fix? I've tried apple bitter on the tongue, prong collars to correct while she's doing it.... nothing works. It's so annoying and she makes this whine noise that seems like she's not happy but it's a reflex she can't stop. HELP!
    --Nancy<br />Mom to Mocha Chocolate, F, 07/16/02 &amp; Caramelle, Yel., F, 12/28/02

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Licking the air?

hmmm, could be a few things

1) Something on the roof her mouth, even a hair or something. If its been going on for a while I doubt it.
    2) It could be gas or acid indigestion...try given a Gas-X with Malox (2 of them - chewable) and see if that stops. I think you can use pepcid or something as well...semithicone works well.
    3) Could be the food or the manner you feeding it that could cause 2 above or 4 below...Maybe switch foods or wet the food a little or lift the bowl when feeding - all ideas.
    4) It could be air in the digestive system - try the Gas-x again

Is this going on all day long? Could be:
    1) OCD
    2) Something else????

Let us know what you try and what the outcome is?

Caseys Mom Guest

It sounds to me like Mocha's air licking may have becime on OCD or obsessive-compulsive disorder.

The first thing to do would be to take her to the vet for a comprehensive physical so you can rule out any physiological or neurological causes. If everything comes back negative then you probably are dealing with a behavioral issue.

OCD's are usually treated by disrupting the behavior, redirecting to something more appropriate and then lavshly rewarding the new behavior. In some cases, psychoactive drugs can also be helpful. As you've found out, punishment is not effective and may actually cause the unwanted behavior to increase.

Here are a couple of articles you might want to read:

http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/...&story_no=1530

http://consumer.vetmedcenter.com/Con...n=01560157.htm

Good luck and please let us know what happens with your girl.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Our little dog had that problem. She would just lick the air constantly. Our lick her paws. They found out that she had allergies. That might be something to check out as well...Good Luck!

I did find this on ceasar milan's site:
    skindred: How can I stop my three-year-old chocolate Lab from incessant licking?

Cesar_Millan: He's fixated. Every time I hear that a dog doesn't have limits, it makes sense to me to give him limits. An obsession mind has no limits.

But what does that mean exactly?? Like we should distract her and teach her a new "trick" or something? Limiting her time to actually lick? Or limiting her from the site of licking, in this case usually the kitchen area?
    PS. Mocha does see a vet regularly for her yearly exams and shots etc and for the occasional trip. We've asked the vet before. Actually two different vets and they seem to not have any idea why she does it or how to make it stop.
    We go on two walks a day - 1 in the AM for 20 minutes and 1 in the PM for 30-40 min.
    --Nancy<br />Mom to Mocha Chocolate, F, 07/16/02 &amp; Caramelle, Yel., F, 12/28/02

Dani is offline Senior Member

I heard that there are smelling sensors in the roof of their mouths and they are trying to get more of the scent.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

when you put the doog outside during one of these episodes, what does it do? Does she try to eat grass or something else. Is there grass to eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    I heard that there are smelling sensors in the roof of their mouths and they are trying to get more of the scent.
    When I get up in the morning, my girl gets close to my face and licks the air like crazy.* My morning breath must smell pretty tasty!*

I haven't tried shoo'ing her outside when she licks. We do have grass. Are you thinking she may have an upset stomach?
    I have heard of the roof of the mouth sensors as well. However, once she started licking when we weren't eating or making food i didn't think that could be it. Of course her licking episodes always do start in the kitchen - so she obviously associates that area with smells and foods... but also in our bedroom (they both sleep in our room, in their bed/tent on the floor), she licks the air.
    They get bedtime treats (half a mini biscuit) so she must associate that smell there also. We don't break the biscuits or keep them in our room. AND we just had the carpets cleaned.
    Funny she never licks at night in our bedroom. Just the mornings after. Like every morning while we're getting ready for work... ???

Excessing licking couild be associated with an upset stomach. In some dogs they are called licking fits...some people, but not all, believe that it could be an early sign of bloat.

I have had experience with liking fits with my Swiss Moutain Dog. Every few months he would get them and sort of filll up with air, but not bloat. Two Gas-x and a short walk and it usually resolved itself. After 4 years of getting these every 3-4 months, he did end up bloating...hmmmmm. I am not sold it is related though. I think both were related to a upset stomach and stress....is your dog stressful?

This sounds different than your dog. I would try something with semithicone and see if it helps. Gas-X with Malox or Pepcid or something else... It should within an hour. I would just try to rule out the stomach being upset first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast