lab eats rocks!

Thread: lab eats rocks!

Defaultlab eats rocks!

My 2 year old female lab is eating pea graval! The rocks are generally very small but she ate alot yesterday. Her poop is full of rocks. I'm feeding her the right amount of food. Will these rocks hurt her????

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: lab eats rocks!

I would be worried about a blockage...I would work hard to eliminate the behaviour.

On our last vet visit, the vet mentioned that she had just seen a Lab who at first appeared to have a very large tumor. Upon further investigation, they discovered that the dog was full of rocks. She had to to have emergency surgery to remove them. So to answer your question, yes, eating rocks can be very dangerous.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Why is she eating them?

Definitely keep her away. They may be small but internally they could cause all sorts of problems. Not only that but one day she could swallow a big one and get an obstruction.

I don't know why she would eat them. I have two labs and the other doesn't eat the rocks. There is a small spot in our yard that doesn't drain well and that is where the pea gravel is located. She has plenty of other area to play. I'll keep an eye on her. Thanks everybody.