Need Help Bella's sick!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help Bella's sick!

DefaultNeed Help Bella's sick!

Hey Guys, I just stumbled apon this site recently. I need some help. I have a 7yr old yellow lab who is not being herself. Over the past 4 weeks she has been drinking an immense amount of water, lost her appetite and has been laying around. I've had her into the vet several times. She has been checked out for diabetes, thyroid ect. She just got over a bladder infection about 2 weeks ago that was when the water consumption started. I'm getting a bit concerned. Anyone's 2 cents would be greatly appreciated!!! ???

~Thanks,Steve Volk

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: Need Help Bella's sick!

If shes not acting herself and shes still drinking so much water I'd take her in to another vet and get their thoughts.
    Good luck.

everydog is offline Senior Member

I also think another opinion is in order. Are you sure the bladder infection was cured? Although I hope this is not the case, Cushing's Disease is also something to consider:

http://www.kateconnick.com/library/cushingsdisease.html

Was she on prednisone or another steroid recently?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogmom is offline Senior Member

Possibly Diabetes Insipidus.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Are you in or near a state with a CollVetMed/SchoolVetMed?

If so, I suggest taking your Lab there -- they have the latest in diagnostic tests.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Quote Originally Posted by everydog
    I also think another opinion is in order. Are you sure the bladder infection was cured? Although I hope this is not the case, Cushing's Disease is also something to consider:

http://www.kateconnick.com/library/cushingsdisease.html

Was she on prednisone or another steroid recently?
    She was on prednisone because she was bitting her paws. The vet explained it was allergies and predisone was good idea. She took it for three days and we quit giving it to her because she ceased bitting her paws.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Pred can cause extra water intake and output. I would talk to your vet about using an antihistamine (such as Benadryl) instead of steroid for allergies. If he can't help you with that then I would go to a different vet. All a steroid is is a bandaid and it covers up the root of the problem.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm going to get a 2nd opinion. Let me know if you think of any other possibilities.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

One other thought has she had regular blood work done (CBC)? If so was everything normal, no anemia, ect?
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

When they did the tests for diabetes was she fasted before hand. I've heard a lot of vets don't tell you to do it before the test then the results are not accurate. maybe check with another vet and ask to have the test redone.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast