Not sure what to do!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not sure what to do!

DefaultNot sure what to do!

I'm not sure f this is a health or training question. Cooper is 11.5 wks. He constantly pee's in the house. I've had dogs pee in the house before but not like this! When it first started we took him to the vet figuring he had a bladder infection. He was given a shot of antibiotics and a pill which is called Primoor 120. This was about a week ago and things have not gotten any better. At first I just figured it was him being a puppy. This pup sometime goes 3 times in 30 minutes during the day, but will not pee in his crate at night. Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Not sure what to do!

3 times in 30 minutes - wow! That's impressive!...sort of.... ;D

I'm sorry that I don't have any advice for you. I too own a yellow lab named Cooper and he was pretty good at peeing in the house, as I recall. Maybe the name is to blame.... ;D

Hang in there - the lightbulb will go in his head one of these days and he'll clue in that he is to pee outside. You mentioned you've had dogs prior to Cooper so you've been down this wet, soggy road before! With our guy, we simply praised the living hell out of him even if just a drop landed outside. The neighbours must have thought we were insane - 3 a.m. and we were doing a happy dance in the backyard because Cooper peed outside!!! Whoo-hoo!

I hope Cooper clues in soon.

Bev.

I hope you have limited his water intake - free standing water available all day will go out as easliy as it goes in!
    Good luck
    Patti

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I do pick up his water at 8:00 every night. The only bad thing is we have 2 other dogs that are used to having it all day and they didn't have this much problem when they were pups. I have forgotten a few times but he still don't pee in his crate! I beginning to thank he's just play head games! At one time the wife gave him the name Cooper Pooper but we've over come that obstacle.

Part of the problem is his age, part of the problem is the medicine. Once when Oona was a year old she was recovering from a UTI. We were at a friends house and without warning she just squatted and peed. > Are you cleaning the area with something like Nature's Miracle?
    Olie

I'm sure age is playing a big part here. We've only had one pup with this kind of problem, and I believe it was just a "head game" for her. We would immediatly "toss" her outside if caught in the act, and she hated it!! We left her out for maybe 10-15 min, then let her in, this repeated for about a week, then she just stopped. She would sit outside the window staring in, and it really irritaed her! We now have a dog door out to a fenced dog area, so life is much better.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Trickster is offline Senior Member

You say he doesn't pee in the crate so use it to your advantage. It won't hurt him to spend time in there when you can't give him your 100% attention. He is still a baby and obviously doesn't understand the concept of peeing outside yet. I would keep him on a strict routine for the next few weeks --either outside, in the crate or with you under your complete supervision. If you allow him loose in the house and turn your back even for a moment you are giving him the chance to slip up. Don't give him that opportunity. House training can be a pain but if you remain consistant it will get better.

Where are you/what are you doing when he potties in the house?

I agree with what's been said...if you can't give the pup 100% attention, potty him and pop him in his crate.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

I would just like to add... I really don't think you should limit the water more than you are. It was suggested that you limit the intake during the day and I have to go against that. It can be very dangerous for a pup so small/young to get dehydrated so keeping their access to water whenever they are playing or awake is important. (I agree with limiting it at night when you are potty training)
    ~Lindsay

Thanks for all the help and thank God for Natures Miracle!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast