Puppy problems.

Thread: Puppy problems.

DefaultPuppy problems.

I have a 12 week old black lab that I am kinda concerned about. I switched his food when i got him at 9 weeks old over a corse of a week to Euknuba and i just dont think he was diggin that so i decided to go to Purina One puppy. His stool has been looking better except for the last few day. It has gotten real runny and his attitud is not "puppy like". He will have a couple bursts of energy if he his provoked but beside that he will just moaps around and sleeps alot. Maybe hes just a laid back guy? I bought some Natural Choice today thinkin maybe i would change his food once again but before i do i wanted to see what you guys had to say. He was at the vet a few days ago and they said he was doing great. Any advice would be great :-\

And another thing. Im so so soooooooooo confused on what to feed him. I want the best for my dog and im not sure what that is food wise

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Puppy problems.

If this was my puppy I would not change his food. I would take him -- and a fresh stool sample -- to the vet.

Millie slept alot when she was that young,she would be active early in the morning and sleep until late afternoon...she would get up 2-3 times during the day(moapy acting) and go out but wouldnt be in play mood except morning then again late afternoon into the evening.She slept so much I googled "how much do puppies sleep" several times.

The soft stools could be coming from food changes,but its something you should be concerned about.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Just like human babies puppies sleep alot. I would pick a food and stick with it unless there was a medical reason to change it. And when you do change it you need to make the change gradually say over a five to 7 day period otherwise you will probably be dealing with the runs.
    Olie

It takes 6 weeks to run a proper trial on food. Puppies sleep a lot and some more than others. Some pups are only awake for a few short bursts of play per day. If you are concerned, ask the vet to check things out. What were his trips to the vet like? Is he healthy otherwise?

Trickster is offline Senior Member

My hunch is that you have switched his food more then several times in the course of a few weeks and this is what is causing the problems. Puppies have very sensitive digestions and this is why good breeders will give puppy buyers a diet sheet to follow when the pup goes home. Add to that the stress of leaving the litter and the result can be a run down puppy.

As for energy levels, has he always been like that? puppies need a lot of rest. Some people are under the idea that puppies should be running around all the time. Not true. Rest is key to good health. Most pups wake up and have a "mad moment" of running and being wild for a short period of time and fall right back asleep.

What food did your breeder have him on? there is an unbelievable range of foods to try from and no one can give you a single recommendation and say that it will work for your dog. If you want some pointers, try this website: www.dogfoodproject.com -- look specifically at what to look for and what to avoid dog food.