Changing foods too often?

Thread: Changing foods too often?

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultChanging foods too often?

A few months ago I changed Prudence form SD z/d ultra to ProPlan Sensitive & Stomach and more recently Brigetta from Eukanuba LB Puppy to ProPlan Chicken & Rice Adult. I've noticed that they both poop A LOT more and that Prudence's skin is drier. Prudence actually goes twice as much as she used to. I'm now considering switching them both to Canidae Chicken & Rice because it claims to be a good food for dogs with skin and allergy problems. My concern is am I switching their food too much? I don't want to reek havoc on their systems. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Changing foods too often?

I think if you aren't happy w/ the results of your food and you think it doesn't agree with them, then change it. Just make a very gradual transition over 7 or so days. Longer if you have one w/ a sensitive stomach. Just my .02 worth.

Constant switching of foods can create more problems than it solves so it really depends on WHY you are changing foods. If you feel she isn't doing well on a particular food then change it but be smart about it. Dry skin? Add fish oil capsules. Too much poop? How much is "too much"? It might be normal or it might be a sign that she isn't utilizing the food properly. Foods with lots of fillers will produce more/larger poops so if you are going to change, keep that in mind. Don't switch to another food with as many or more fillers or you won't resolve the issue.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

How long have they been on the foods for? you need to keep them on a new food for at least 8 weeks to see the real results. Of course if you think the food is causing the problems you can switch sooner. Could the dry skin be caused by something other than the food? have you turned the heat on in your house? this can cause their skin to dry out.

Prudence has been on the new food for at least 8 weeks. She has gone from pooping twice a day to four times a day. Brigetta has not been on it for 8 weeks and she is going 1-2 more times than usual. I haven't turned on the heat but there has been a big change in the temperature so that could definitely contribute to Pru's drier skin. It's hard for me to tell with her because she does have a lot of allergies; food, grass, etc. Brigetta is on fish oil caplets which has worked great for her. I didn't know if them going to the bathroom more than usual was a sign that I needed to switch which is why I started comparing the ingredients between the two foods and I thought if I would switch them both to the same food since the Canidae has good ingredients and was good for allergies as well.

You should give the new food some time...changing isn't necessarily bad...just over time..
    As far as the pooping thing, Riley was going almost 6 times a day, and not just little "units"..we have switched her to Nutro-Max for now, and has shown drastic improvement, I will probably switch her again after we find what she needs with her allergies, but we figured we'd give it a little time in between changing diets. It is difficult to find the right combonation, it takes some time, and patience to find the right balance!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Trickster is offline Senior Member

ProPlan Chicken & Rice

Ingredients:
    Chicken, brewers rice, whole grain wheat, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), corn bran, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal digest, dried egg product, calcium phosphate, salt, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
    Q-4455

ProPlan S&S

Ingredients:
    Salmon, brewers rice, canola meal, oat meal, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), salmon meal (natural source of glucosamine), pearled barley, brewers dried yeast, animal digest, salt, potassium chloride, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
    D-4449

Canidae Chicken & Rice

Ingredients:
    Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Dried Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Canidae looks much better for an allergy sufferer IMO. I really don't like the ingredients of the ProPlan Chicken & Rice...way too much corn and there is also wheat, animal digest, etc. The S&S looks ok but I think I would prefer a single meat protein source for a dog with allergies.

Thanks. Because of the allergy issue I am going to slowly change over to Canidae and give it try.