TICK REMOVAL

Thread: TICK REMOVAL

DefaultTICK REMOVAL

I found a tick on my dog's head this weekend (not uncommon) - BUT when I used the tweezers to remove it, only half came out (looks like I got most of the body), the front half is still in her head (its stuck pretty good, b/c I would pull fairly hard and it wouldn't budge) - She's on Frontline + (it was about 28 days post application), so as a added measure I gave her another application that afternoon - My question is, is there a way to get the 1/2 still in there out (Vaseline, bactitracin, etc), will it eventually fall out, or do I need to take her to the vet to get it removed?* Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: TICK REMOVAL

I would take her to get it removed ASAP! I am telling you this only because I have a dog here with Lymes. The longer that sucker is attached the greater the chance to contract a tick born illness. The vasaline, ect will not work.

Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

you should be in the clear as far as lyme goes. It takes about 48-72 hours to transmit from when it first bites and take 12024 just to bite.

As for getting the rest of it out... no advice here. they sell tick removing plastic devices that may help. Petco ad petsmart should carry them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Yikes...I don't know what to advise other then getting her to a vet. I would do so ASAP. Ticks can cause nasty infections if left embedded in the skin.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

well??? what did you end up doing?

took her to the vet and they removed it - although it was really in there they had to dig it out with a needle (hemostats & tweezers wouldn't get it out) - since it was within 24hrs, and vet got it all out, said that risk for any type of infection/disease should be very very minimal - thanks for all the recommendations !

Glad it's finally out! Hopefully there won't be a next time but if there is try this: Put a few drops of liquid soap on a cotton ball, place the ball on the tick and swish it gently for around 30 seconds. The tick should come right out.