poor eye sight? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: poor eye sight?

DefaultRe: poor eye sight?

Well, I have an apointment for the afternoon of the 9th, down in cinnci. They said that labs are not common for cataracts, but they do get diabeties which can cause the cataracts. They said to get him into a vet soon if I start to see things like tearing a lot, I told them he has this nasty snot looking stuff in his eyes everyday. They said I should have him checked out very soon, and if I can't afford the eye surgery ($3500) he will adjust very well for it. But, there could be some other things going on that I need to get him in to check out.
    I will try to get back on here befor ethe end of the week to post what they say after the exam.
    I feel really guilty about now, I just spent 3750 on a damned car. I can't really go with out the car, but I still feel bad. I needed something that is reliable to get back and forth to work and since I'm a vol. at the local FD, I need a decent car to respond with for when I run ER (light and siren) to get to the station. But, regardless, I don't know what I would do if I was going blind and he is missing out since he has had his vision going away at such a young age. I still feel like crap.

Wish us luck

scott

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Check into carecredit.* It is a credit card for medical expenses (human or animal).* They have special rates for expensive procedures (like no payments/no interest for x amount of time).

http://www.carecredit.com/practices/veterinary/

Well, here is the latest on my poor blind pup.
    The first problem is that he has Entropion. His eye lids roll into his eyes causing an irritation, his tear glands (or was it his tear ducts) are too small on his right eye and normal in the left but smaller then what they should be for his condition. I have 5 meds to give him every day, ranging from every 6 hrs to every 24 hrs. Only one of them is oral, the rest are drops and ointment for his eyes. He is getting better, but still hates it and he's about 95 lbs so he can put up a good fight if he just does not want to let me put them in his eyes.
    I have noticed an imidiate improvement in how much he opens his eyes, and there is no more gunk build up like before.
    The cataracts, the vet said we have to get the other problem taken care of first and the surgery could cost $500 - 850. I kind of need to get that done, even if he cant see. Oh yea, the cataracts, that will cost in the range of $3500. The vet said he thinks they are so dense that Titus is completely blind. I have been working with him a little, and trying to judge his reactions to tell how much he can see. I think he can make out big objects, like someone standing in front of a light, or a wall, or just about anything that has some size to it and there is some light. Other then that, he can't see squat. I really hate it for him, since he is so young and otherwise healthy. I understand he can adjust to not being able to see, but he would be so much happier with vision.
    I will try to post a couple pictures of him, you can even see the cataracts in a pic.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

OH, I almost forgot. He also has an ear infection, but I have to take him to a regular vet for that. I think I'm going to end up in the frikkin poor house trying to get him healthy. :-[
    But, what else am I gonna do. He is like my kid, I'll have to figure something out.
    Any suggestions on a way to raise some money for his vet bills?
    I thought about trying to ask for money on e-bay, I have seen someone ask for money on there. I just don't know how I would do it, or what to list it as.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry... I don't have any answears for you. Just wanna say you have an adorable boy! Is he a mix or is he one of those unusual purebread brindle labs?
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

purebred lab. His parent were both black labs, the owners are neighbors (and brother and sister I think) and neither of them ever sent in the paperwork when they were pups but their labs could have been AKC registered.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

He certainly is a gorgeous boy. I send him good thoughts. I hope he feels better soon!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Monday after work, Titus goes back for a check up. I think they will probably try to schedule surgery for the entropia then. He has been looking better and keeping his eyes open better. He has also gotten used to getting drops and ointment in his eyes on a regular basis (I have had to put stuff in his eyes about 10 times a day). I can see an improvement, but he can't see much if anything.

scott

Good lcuk to you both. Poor Titus.

Did you try for the Care credit card Rottnlabs suggested?

I have it and while it IS a credit card with the same type of percentage rates it is certainly helpful. I took it out some years ago to cover expenses for 3 dogs that we lost over 11 months but it was easier to pay $6,000 on a credit card than have to come up the the lump sum needed at each treatment. One of our dogs had almost $4,000 in health care costs when we had him put to sleep.

It is very hard but he is your baby and you will come up with something, he is a gorgeous boy.

our prayers are with you.

Annette, Fanny and Eddie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast