at a loss, any suggestions from you guys?

Thread: at a loss, any suggestions from you guys?

Defaultat a loss, any suggestions from you guys?

Something is wrong with Shiner and the vet doesn't seem to have any clue what to do about it.

It all started a few years back when she started having 'episodes'. They are similar to seizures, but she is fully conscious during the whole thing. When it starts to happen she usually seeks out my husband or myself and leans against us. Then she seems to lose control of her legs, and can't walk or walk straight so she lays down. She begins to shake and pant. This usually lasts about a minute or so. She will usually try to get up while this is happening but she can't. This used to happen about every few months.

Lately, however, she has been in some sort of pain. She paces in circles and pants and just wants to hide in a corner. We took her in and they suspected a pinched nerve or some knee ligament damage...but the surgeon said he didn't think it was her knee..they have not been able to find anywhere that actually hurts. She's been fine since she saw the surgeon, but the other day she had another one of these episodes and since then every morning she wakes up in 'pain' (we can only assume she is in pain, from the panting and walking in circles) and is walking in circles again. We give her some pain medicine and she seems to get better.

We got her latest episode on video (or at least, the last half of it) if anyone would like to see it I can send a link.

Does any of this sound familiar to you lab owners at all? I am at a loss as to what to do. I've called the vet and he doesn't seem to have any idea what to do about it, I have a recommendation for another vet. I think I will call him to get a second opinion.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: at a loss, any suggestions from you guys?

WOW!* Thank you so much.* That might be the problem.* The symptoms seem really close.

But it doesn't really say what to do about it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would conact the vet school at the nearest university. usually they have access diagnostic procedures that regular vet offices don't have. maybe they can help.

Quote Originally Posted by tkpaul
    I would conact the vet school at the nearest university.* usually they have access diagnostic procedures that regular vet offices don't have.* maybe they can help.*
    Good suggestion, we are considering calling Texas A&M, they are just up the road and since DH is alumni he would feel really comfortable taking her there.

I would print the article and take it with you.

Also, another thing to consider:
    http://www.thelabradorclub.com/library/eicstudy.html

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Have her tested for Lymes. When I first took my old girl in they suspected a pinched nerve or a herniated disk. Don't let the vets talk you out of running this test. It took me 2 years to get a positive lymes test. By the way you can get a false neg on the ELISA test. Western Blot is prefered but you can also get false neg on them. There is a place called Bowen Research that can run a different type of Lymes test where they look for the actual organism for Lymes. Read more about it here:
    http://www.bowen.org/NewSite/LymeDisease.html

Feel free to PM if you want more info.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC