Allergies??!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allergies??!!

DefaultAllergies??!!

Hi,
    I have a 2 1/2 year old Yellow Lab, who in the past month has been chewing her paws to a point where they are red and raw. She is currently on meds that the vet prescribed over 2 weeks ago for allergies. This seem to stop her from chewing her paws for a while.

We are starting to reduce the meds and it seems like she is now going back to chewing her paws more often.

Does anyone have any suggestions if this is allergies and what else can we use for her after we stop the medication?

Thank You!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Allergies??!!

Been there, done this!!!!

1. What Meds did the vet prescribe? Dosage?

2. Any ear gunk build-up/ itching of ears?

3. Inside dog/or outside dog? (most time spent)

4. What kind of fod are you feeding?

5. Any new medications/vaccinations recently?

[attachment deleted by admin]

1. What Meds did the vet prescribe? Dosage? Simplicef (200mg) 1 1/2 tablets daily and Temaril
    2. Any ear gunk build-up/ itching of ears? - None

3. Inside dog/or outside dog? (most time spent) - Inside

4. What kind of fod are you feeding? - Dry dog food, same brand and type for well over a year.

5. Any new medications/vaccinations recently? - None

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We just discovered with Riley, that a Corn based food has caused a massive amount of allergic problems with her. (corn meal, etc...)
    We tried everything under the sun to find outwhat the problem was, but a week on a different food has caused a huge difference with her.

As far as what could be triggering your problems, I don't know, but we went thru hell finding this out.
    Riley wouldn't chew, but lick her paws ALL THE TIME, constantly...Drove us nuts!!!
    She had ear build-up,also. In my experience, it may take some time, thru process of elimination to find the culprit, but I hated to see the dog on allergy pills all the time!!!

Thank you for the information. Hopefully we can narrow down the cause of her problem.

I'll check with her vet about food allergies.

Thanks

FYI....My Vet was clueless when it came to food/nutrition/allergies..He's a great doctor, but had little info for me. I hope your vet is better than mine was. If not it is up to you to discover it by yourself!!!

Good Luck!!!

ThatsMyGirl Guest

My mom has a small dog w/ the same paw chewing problems. She's found that soaking his foot in Epson salts really helped to heal it. She was also given medication called "Derma Cool" that helped, at least temporarily. She also used a baby sock (bought at the dollar store) to cover his foot and bitter apple as a deterrent (use only if there is no open wound)

Quote Originally Posted by billybecks
    I'll check with her vet about food allergies.
    Your vet may very well suggest a very expensive prescription foods. There are some alternatives you might want to try before you take that step. I was in your same position (although the allergies manifested themselves in a different way) and found a very simple food that worked, that was not a prescription food.

Can you tell us what brand of food you feed? Some of the common triggers are wheat, soy and corn -- but even if your food doesn't have those, it could be another ingredient.

Then again it could be environmental. (I'm really no help, am I?) ;D

One thing to try to start doing is to wipe off her feet and muzzle everytime she comes in from grass. It is a little thing but I have found that all the little things add up. Dollars to donuts a grass allergy is involved. I have also heard/read that some dogs have a bad reaction to the stuff folks put on their grass. Now when we go to the park we walk near the house with the organic lawn and avoid the one that uses a commercial spray service.

I have also found that licking begets licking...if you can put an elizabethan collar on her just long enough for her to get settled down, that might break the pattern. Mind you, I never ever leave the collar on during the day when no one is home...ever.

If your vet has not yet tried a combination of Benadryl and Fish Oil, you may want to inquire. The two together are what research has found to be more effective than just one or the other alone. As well, make sure it is around a teaspoon of fish oil. When the first vet gave me capsules she said two a day. Well I measured and it takes five to make a teaspoon.

I have also had really really good result with giving to tablets of Acidophilus a day. Not expensive in the refrigerated area of Whole Foods or your local vitamin-like store. I have not seen a sign of yeast since she started taking them.

Tell us how she does.

Morgan with Lya
    and Friend Rocco the Ridgeback

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by roccolya
    One thing to try to start doing is to* wipe off her feet and muzzle everytime she comes in from grass.* It is a little thing but I have found that all the little things add up.* Dollars to donuts a grass allergy is involved.* I have also heard/read that some dogs have a bad reaction to the stuff folks put on their grass.* Now when we go to the park we walk near the house with the organic lawn and avoid the one that uses a commercial spray service.

I have also found that licking begets licking...if you can put an elizabethan collar on her just long enough for her to get settled down, that might break the pattern.* Mind you, I never ever leave the collar on during the day when no one is home...ever.

If your vet has not yet tried a combination of Benadryl and Fish Oil, you may want to inquire.* The two together are what research has found to be more effective than just one or the other alone.* As well, make sure it is around a teaspoon of fish oil.* When the first vet gave me capsules she said two a day. Well I measured and it takes five to make a teaspoon.*

I have also had really really good result with giving to tablets of Acidophilus a day.* Not expensive in the refrigerated area of Whole Foods or your local vitamin-like store.* I have not seen a sign of yeast since she started taking them.

Tell us how she does.

Morgan with Lya
    and Friend Rocco the Ridgeback
    While I don't agree w/ your assessment that this could only be a grass allergy, I am very interested in your fish oil & benedryl research.* Can you give me the link?* I really would like to pass this on to my mom.* She has just started her little guy on fish oil, but maybe it's not enough.* *Thx.

Oh, and one more question for the OP -- was your dog recently vacinnated (as in right before the paw chewing started)?*

Usually it is Grass allergies and and and, but the damp cloth can at least help the grass pollen situation.

The Benadryl and fish oil write up came from Lya's Dermatlogist (along with what percentage of dogs responde faviorbly), but I bet I can find it on the web as well. One moment......Welp this one is not on th need to give together but it is a nice little site which talks about shampoo as well.
    http://www.nelsonvet.com/dog_allergies.html When I find it again I will post it to be sure.

Lya responds really well to Hexadine shampoo.

Hexadene Medicated Shampoo with Spherulites is an antimicrobial shampoo designed for use on dogs and cats with dermatological conditions responsive to chlorhexidene.
    Spherulites: an exclusive and patented encapsulation system developed by Virbac; provides slow release of ingredients long after product application.
    Chitosanide: a natural biopolymer that creates a protective film on the skin and hair. This reinforces hydrating and restoring effects of the formulation, helping to protect the skin against damage from the environment.

Uses:
    Hexadene Medicated Shampoo is a gentle, antimicrobial for use on dogs and cats of any age.

Active Ingredient:
    Chlorhexidene gluconate 3%

Contains:
    Water, lauroamidopropyl betaine, disodium cocoamphodi-acetate, Spherulites, talloweth-60, myristyl glycol, certrimonium chloride, polyquaternium-11, chitosanide, lactic acid, benzalkonium chloride, fragrance, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, FD&C blue#1, FD&C yellow #5. Chlorhexidine acetate is present in encapsulated (Spherulites) form.

Directions for Use:
    Shake well before use. Wet the hair coat with warm water and apply a sufficient amount of shampoo to create a rich lather. Massage Hexadene Medicated Shampoo into wet hair coat, lather freely. Rinse and repeat. Allow to remain on hair coat for 5 to 10 minutes, then rinse thoroughly with clean water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast